Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wine-Staging 1.7.39 Works On Speeding Up Wineserver Calls

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Wine-Staging 1.7.39 Works On Speeding Up Wineserver Calls

    Phoronix: Wine-Staging 1.7.39 Works On Speeding Up Wineserver Calls

    Following Friday's release of Wine 1.7.39, Wine-Staging 1.7.39 was released this Sunday with hundreds of extra patches on top of Wine...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...Staging-1.7.39

  • #2
    Are they ever going to add PulseAudio support to Wine?

    I've removed alsa-utils and pulseaudio-alsa from my Arch Linux system, because the only thing I want to use that doesn't have pulseaudio support is Wine.

    But I can't install it since I'm forced to use ALSA with Wine if I want sound, so I don't install it.

    Sigh.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
      Are they ever going to add PulseAudio support to Wine?

      I've removed alsa-utils and pulseaudio-alsa from my Arch Linux system, because the only thing I want to use that doesn't have pulseaudio support is Wine.

      But I can't install it since I'm forced to use ALSA with Wine if I want sound, so I don't install it.

      Sigh.

      You know, there's a patchset which offers pulseaudio support for wine

      but the patches apply less and less with each wine release (rejects, so either it's already integrated or WINE is a highly moving target)

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
        Are they ever going to add PulseAudio support to Wine?

        I've removed alsa-utils and pulseaudio-alsa from my Arch Linux system, because the only thing I want to use that doesn't have pulseaudio support is Wine.

        But I can't install it since I'm forced to use ALSA with Wine if I want sound, so I don't install it.

        Sigh.
        This news is about Wine-Staging, which already supports PulseAudio since a long time. See our website https://wine-staging.com for a list of all included "extra features". Features which are already available in upstream Wine are also supported of course, but not explicitly listed there.

        Comment


        • #5
          it's not like PA uses alsa and the alsa "install" is more or less just one shared library
          not like that at all...

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by gens View Post
            it's not like PA uses alsa and the alsa "install" is more or less just one shared library
            not like that at all...
            The problem is that Wine is known to cause issues with ALSA and PulseAudio.

            It might be better now, and I have nothing against using ALSA applications with PulseAudio.

            I'm also well aware that PulseAudio uses ALSA.

            Trust me, I've been using Linux for more than 15 years, even from the OSS (before ALSA) days. I know what I'm talking about.

            I'm referring to the issues that happen when you are playing a game with ALSA and then you have music playing on the background with a Pulse app and then the device would be "busy". This has happen to me more than once and I've had enough, so I go with apps that have a good pulse driver.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by kernelOfTruth View Post
              You know, there's a patchset which offers pulseaudio support for wine

              but the patches apply less and less with each wine release (rejects, so either it's already integrated or WINE is a highly moving target)
              Where can I find those patches? Wine-staging? Will those patches apply to the original wine codebase (upstream)?

              Comment


              • #8
                How about microsoft donate wine developers and lanunch Windows 11 with linux kernel?
                (no one will know what is linux, like android)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
                  Where can I find those patches? Wine-staging? Will those patches apply to the original wine codebase (upstream)?
                  https://github.com/wine-compholio/wine-staging
                  https://github.com/wine-compholio/wi...eAudio_Support


                  haven't done it for 2 releases and only against latest upstream 9999 base - so honestly don't know, might need some tinkering

                  infos how the gentoo devs do it: http://sources.gentoo.org/cgi-bin/vi...75&view=markup

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How about redirecting alsa to pulseaudio ?

                    something along

                    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...o_through_JACK


                    there are some other great examples in that wiki entry

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X