No announcement yet.

Nuntius: Delivering Android Notifications To The GNOME Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to see GNOME implement the Android Storage Access Framework.

So that you can access files on the cloud from any of your applications.
    From any cloud, from any vendor.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Obsolete before it was even dreamed up.

Android bleeps and lights up the screen when a notification arrives. If your phone is on your desk, that means you just need to ROTATE YOUR EYES TOWARD IT to see the notification.
      I usually have the phone sitting somewhere charging with the screen black or possibly something like daydream. Then you have to unlock it to reply, etc. If I could have it pop up just like an instant message, that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by adlerhn View Post
        I'd personally very much welcome it. I hate unlocking my phone to see what the notification is about.
        I think you missed the memo. You DON'T have to unlock your phone on android 5.0 to see the notifications. They show on the lock screen (based on privacy parameters you define), and the lock screen shows automatically when a new notification comes in (no user interaction required).

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
          Don't see how it is obsolete. Phones are not always in your desk and you aren't always sitting on your desk when say using a laptop.
          It specifies bluetooth.

Comment

Originally posted by leech View Post
            I usually have the phone sitting somewhere charging with the screen black or possibly something like daydream. Then you have to unlock it to reply, etc. If I could have it pop up just like an instant message, that would be awesome.
            You CAN'T reply with gnome.

Comment

Why not KDE-connect? the very simple answer is that we did not know about it? Nuntius is a fun project born in front of the coffee machine because we wanted to learn something about android and at the same time do something that we would use every day. We did not spend much time researching existing things, we just went ahead, fired up an editor and started a prototype.
              just the usual NIH-syndrome ...

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post
                just the usual NIH-syndrome ...
                That would a silly assumption especially now a blog post followup has been posted and Phoronix has referenced it as well

Comment

That would a silly assumption especially now a blog post followup has been posted and Phoronix has referenced it as well
                  Sry, i don't understand what you are trying to say. I quoted from the followup you are referencing ... and based my statement on that.

Comment

Originally posted by pythoneer View Post
                    Sry, i don't understand what you are trying to say. I quoted from the followup you are referencing ... and based my statement on that.
                    That is what was silly. People overuse the term NIH for everything these days even when the context directly contradicts the term.

Comment

That is what was silly. People overuse the term NIH for everything these days even when the context directly contradicts the term.
                      They couldn't be bothered to spend 30 seconds to check if someone was already doing what they wanted to do before spending weeks doing it themselves. I guess, technically, not caring about the rest of the Linux software ecosystem is not NIH syndrome, but it is part of the same general mentality.

Comment

Working...
                      X