Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foobnix Music Player Ported To GTK3

Phoronix: Foobnix Music Player Ported To GTK3

For those in need of a new open-source music player, Foobnix is GPLv3-licensed, written in Python, and with its newest release has been ported to using the GTK3 tool-kit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hm, music players are noteworthy? I should've CC'd Michael with my new PDF reader last week then

Comment

Looks pretty shitty.

Lately, I found myself not using MP3s or FLAC much anymore.
      Lately, I've been mostly using Spotify and YouTube (yeah, YouTube has really shitty audio quality).

Old style music players are boring.
      Today a music players needs to bring more to the table.

It needs to bring things like music discovery to discover related artists. It needs meta data. It needs integration with Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons. It needs lyrics integration.

You need to easily browse, find and filter your music collection.

A MP3 file is standalone and has no relation to other songs. A MP3 file has ID3 meta data that contains a genre.
      But at artist can do music in many different genres. A artist can make different albums with different genres, or one album with mixed-genre songs.

I shouldn't need to make playlists myself. I should just tell the media player, I want to listen to "Rock" and then I hear all rock songs from 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s.
      Or I say I want listen to the 60s, then it shows a list of songs from the 60s.
      Or I say I want 60s rock songs, then it take songs only from 60s and only rock songs.

Comment

^ That sounds like Clementine.

Comment

Old style music players are boring. Today a music players needs to bring more to the table.
          Over-generalization. Some of us still have large local libraries and prefer the old playlist style. All those online music "features" are just bloat/clutter to us.
          Besides, foobnix looks to have some online music capability.

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
          Yeah, and Clementine's a great player for its target audience, but not everyone wants a player like that. Personally, I use audacious and it's hard to imagine a better player.

Comment

Oh how I hate the interface of just about every music player I've used on Linux. There's simply nothing that comes close to Media Monkey or Foobar2000, I wish either of those were open source.

The closest I've come to liking one is Songbird, but look how that went.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Hm, music players are noteworthy? I should've CC'd Michael with my new PDF reader last week then

http://flaxpdf.sf.net/
              that is a good program (y)

but it's not gtk3 nor gnome, so Michael has no reason to post about it

Comment

Originally posted by jagoly View Post
                Amarok2 goes even further with the social integration aspect. Personally I think Clementine has just about the perfect balance of core music playing features and rich media enhancement. On the other extreme, deadbeef is probably the closest to a no-frills foobar2000-like experience.

Comment

never not mpd

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                    Oh how I hate the interface of just about every music player I've used on Linux. There's simply nothing that comes close to Media Monkey or Foobar2000, I wish either of those were open source.

The closest I've come to liking one is Songbird, but look how that went.
                    I believe I read somewhere before there were some attempts to make a Foobar2000 clone for Linux. Try check GitHub or something, I don't know. Or you could make your own clone.

Songbird is forked as Nightingale.

Comment

Working...
                    X