Xfce 4.12 Released After Nearly Three Years Of Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cocklover View Post
    We have the case of KDE 4.11 which have 2 years of extended "support", but the funny thing is that opensuse 13.1 and mageia 4 have NOT updated the 4.11 to the latest (4.11.9 I believe).
    The latest Plasma 4 release is 4.11.16 and it is currently a candidate for an official update in Fedora.
    This is one reason I switched to Fedora. Many components (and that includes the KDE stack) get new versions through the Update repo. As long as compatibility is not broken, the Fedora folks are pretty liberal about that.

Broken compatibility in Libxfce4util (and maybe other libs as well) should rule out Xfce 4.12 as regular update for Fedora 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
      Don't be funny. It's more likely this is the last Xfce release ever.
      You do realize you are trolling an Xfce developer?

Comment

Where are all the idiots who kept saying Xfce is dead?

Comment

If I wanted an "exciting" desktop experience I would not be using Xfce. I would be frustrated with the "exciting" experimentation of GNOME 3, KDE, Unity, etc. Some of us have work to do, we don't have time for excitement.

Thank you to the entire Xfce "team"! (Loosely speaking: there are quite a few peripheral contributors from upstream and downstream) Thank you for making software that just works, works well, is reliable, familiar, minimal, and yet has an excellent reach of features.

*cracks opens a bottle of champagne -- a few of 4.12's features will be immediately useful to us*

I run a medium-large organization based on Xubuntu (over LTSP) and am, personally, very grateful for your work. Our users never complain -- and that silence is pure gold. We don't have time or money to train them, and with Xfce we don't have to. They understand the basic paradigms of the "computers" (in our setup, they are X terminals) and are able to do their everyday work. That, to me, is worth infinitely more than "excitement."

(Thank you, also, to those who work on "exciting" cutting-edge experimental desktops. Eventually, I do believe your work will result in something better than the current clunky taskbar+start-menu+windows paradigm. It hasn't so far, but there is much promise among your diverse approaches. I watch your advances closely and am cheering from the sidelines. Thank you!)

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
            [...]

Thank you to the entire Xfce "team"! (Loosely speaking: there are quite a few peripheral contributors from upstream and downstream) Thank you for making software that just works, works well, is reliable, familiar, minimal, and yet has an excellent reach of features.

[...]
            +1, completely agree with that.

Comment

if it isn't broken, don't fix it. XFCE has provided me with a fast, stable, and reliable DE for a decade now. nothing is worse than tinkering with an essential component like the DE just for "innovation" sake.

If I wanted an "exciting" desktop experience I would not be using Xfce. I would be frustrated with the "exciting" experimentation of GNOME 3, KDE, Unity, etc. Some of us have work to do, we don't have time for excitement
              i could not agree more

Comment

Fourth.

Comment

If I wanted an "exciting" desktop experience I would not be using Xfce. I would be frustrated with the "exciting" experimentation of GNOME 3, KDE, Unity, etc. Some of us have work to do, we don't have time for excitement.
                  But if you use ubuntu LTS or debian stable you will get a "stable" experience anyways with any DE. If you install Arch the DE is updated too but not so much as the other packages. In my opinion there isn't a stable experience on Linux distros and the desktop while is important most of the time is irrelevent to the stable experience at least on workstations, while you can go for Debian Stable Or Ubuntu LTS, the Repos freezed included broken and unmauntained packages of important packages not related with DE. I must use a PPA for Netbeans, PPA for Mono, PPA for Gambas, PPA for Glib, and so on.

Comment

I already readed that before to comment here.
                    wc -l asd.txt
                    840 asd.txt
                    (Maintenace)
                    bug search (316 occurrences)
                    Fix search (149) while this some include bugs to.
                    translation seach (29 ocu)
                    remove(38)
                    correct(11)

(Improvements and new features)
                    add(133)
                    support(49)

Comment

Originally posted by Awesomeness View Post
                      Don't be funny. It's more likely this is the last Xfce release ever.
                      And you, the all-around Phoronix troll, surely understand the dynamics of a team you know nothing about better than its members.

Comment

Working...
                      X