X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SystemCrasher
    replied
    Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post
    Seriously, who cares how it looks like? A DE's or WM's first and most important function is to support you in your work without getting in the way.
    I do. Using good-looking user interface is more fun than using some scrap metal^W bytes. IMO, it is not too much fun to use shitty-looking programs, DEs or systems.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Originally posted by siavashserver
    What do you guys mean by 2D vs 3D acceleration? If it's done using OpenGL, it's hardware accelerated (using GPU), no matter 2D or 3D.
    2d accel = something usable by a 2d card, meaning XRender, pure X, directfb, so on and so on. GL is not accelerated when run on swrast/softpipe/llvmpipe.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DL
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm a little disappointed XFCE hasn't progressed more than this. Its arguably the most balanced DE in terms of features, performance, stability/reliability, and system resources. But with wayland around the corner and GTK2 gathering a thin layer of dust, it might get left behind.
    Libxfce4ui can be built with GTK+3. The panel also runs with GTK+3 plugins. Apart from Thunar which has a lot of code, most apps will be fairly trivial to port. 4.14 will be dedicated to that.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DL
    replied
    Originally posted by xeekei View Post
    Is CSD only supported if you use Xfwm4's compositor? If so, have they significantly improved the compositor? Because it sucked in 4.10.
    Yes, only with xfwm4. These are the main changes: HiDPI theme, full CSD support, corner tiling, new alt+tab, VSync support, bunch of UX fixes, support for titleless maximise. There are many more commits/fixes, waiting for the final changelog.

Leave a comment:

• Steve DL
    replied
    Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Would be nice if they upgraded the looks of the UI. XFCE is probably the best UI there is on Linux. Then Mate and then Cinnamon. But in terms of how UI's look then XFCE looks like Windows 95. Cinnamon looks like Windows 2000. KDE looks like Windows XP. While Gnome 3 and Unity look very modern and pleasant to the eye. To bad they're frustrating to use compared to the rest.
    You can use Greybird for a more modern look. One of the difficulties in deciding whether Xfce should have a new default theme was that GTK+3's themeing engine has not stabilised until now (well, hopefully). The people making the themes want to wait and see that GTK+3's themeing won't change before writing a theme that provides identical looks for both GTK+2 and GTK+3. In the meantime, you can fully customise the GTK+2 and GTK+3 themes, the fonts, the icons, the panel's look, the wallpapers (per monitor/workspace), the alt+tab menu, etc. There are a few more UI improvements that will be on their way in the next version (that could include workspace swap notifications, themable shutdown dialog).

Leave a comment:

• MoonMoon
    replied
    Seriously, who cares how it looks like? A DE's or WM's first and most important function is to support you in your work without getting in the way. Functionality is way more important than looks, at least if you actually have to do some work and not just want to impress your 12 years old friends how uber-cool your desktop looks like.

Leave a comment:

• Dukenukemx
    replied
    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    For those complaining that Xfce looks old fashioned ... I pity your lack of imagination. Here's my Xfce desktop, for which I puposely mimicked Unity's default look-and-feel, which I happen to love:

Full instructions for achieving this are here.
    To me it still looks like Windows XP with a darker theme and a pretty background.

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
    Very nice work! Xubuntu would do good to at least set the theme, font and terminal configurations like you have, to make a more uniform branding for the *buntus
    Thanks! Right now, every flavor has its own distinct theme, as part of the Ubuntu's project principle of giving each flavor autonomy to make its own decisions. Though I have my own opinion (I agree with you that a consistent color scheme, at least would be a good idea for all Ubuntu flavors), I respect that decision immensely. It just goes to show how really hands-off the Ubuntu project is, and repsectful of community, despite so many weird accusations about it.

Actually, the out-of-the-box experience in Xubuntu is not bad at all: Greybird is an elegant and bug-free theme. It does a superb job of supporting GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications transparently: you really can't tell the the difference. Few GTK+ themes can do this well. (Actually, the official GNOME3 Adwaita has been very buggy for me, only one of the reasons I refuse to use GNOME3 quite yet.) This result for Greybird took a lot of extra loving from the Xubuntu team, and I'm very grateful for them doing so. The Ambiance/Radiance Colors theme I now use took a long time to get to the same level of quality (I'm happy to have contributed some bug reports to make it happen).

Themes are a big deal! Lots of work, in development and QA. Theme devs don't get as much accolades as they deserve.

Leave a comment:

• varikonniemi
    replied
    Very nice work! Xubuntu would do good to at least set the theme, font and terminal configurations like you have, to make a more uniform branding for the *buntus

Leave a comment:

• emblemparade
    replied
    Going back earlier in the Xfce 4.12 development cycle was a hope of transitioning Xfce to GTK3, but unfortunately that isn't a full transition for the v4.12 release.
    I don't know how "unfortunate" this is. There's nothing particularly wrong about GTK+2 apps. It would be good to transition eventually, and that transition is under way. I don't see this as such a big urgency. The user experience will be pretty much identical (perhaps worse: GTK+3 theming is still a nightmare, though that does seem to be stabilizing, finally, with a move to 100% CSS).

For those complaining that Xfce looks old fashioned ... I pity your lack of imagination. Here's my Xfce desktop, for which I puposely mimicked Unity's default look-and-feel, which I happen to love:

Full instructions for achieving this are here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X