Features Coming For The Imminent Xfce 4.12 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Would be nice if they upgraded the looks of the UI. XFCE is probably the best UI there is on Linux. Then Mate and then Cinnamon. But in terms of how UI's look then XFCE looks like Windows 95. Cinnamon looks like Windows 2000. KDE looks like Windows XP. While Gnome 3 and Unity look very modern and pleasant to the eye. To bad they're frustrating to use compared to the rest.
    You can make XFCE look better, like as good as Vista (with Aero off). KDE doesn't HAVE to look like crap - I really don't understand why people judge a DE by it's default theme. That's like calling Lamborghinis in general ugly because you saw a bright pink one.

Depending on what you do, gnome and unity aren't frustrating to use at all, you just have to get used to the different workflow. For productive purposes, I find Unity pretty messy, but it's fine for casual PC use.

Comment

Is CSD only supported if you use Xfwm4's compositor? If so, have they significantly improved the compositor? Because it sucked in 4.10.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        You can make XFCE look better, like as good as Vista (with Aero off). KDE doesn't HAVE to look like crap - I really don't understand why people judge a DE by it's default theme. That's like calling Lamborghinis in general ugly because you saw a bright pink one.
        I've used them all and customized them with the best theme's and it still doesn't change my opinion. Things like menu animations and better use of transparency would be a great way to modernize the UI. Also there needs to be UI's that can dynamically switch between 2D and 3D acceleration. Cinnamon and Unity just default to LLVM software rendering when something goes wrong. At least in Windows 7 it will switch off Areo when needed.
        Depending on what you do, gnome and unity aren't frustrating to use at all, you just have to get used to the different workflow. For productive purposes, I find Unity pretty messy, but it's fine for casual PC use.
        The same can be said about Windows 8's UI and look how that worked out.

Comment

FYI Unity used to have 2d accel (multiple in fact), but they decided llvmpipe is sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by rudl View Post
            Is it posible to alt+tab out of steam games now?
            Was one of the main problems why i switched from xfce to lxde.
            The simpler solution is to set all your games to window mode, then hit alt-f11 for full screen.
            Works wonders with multi display too :3

Comment

Going back earlier in the Xfce 4.12 development cycle was a hope of transitioning Xfce to GTK3, but unfortunately that isn't a full transition for the v4.12 release.
              I don't know how "unfortunate" this is. There's nothing particularly wrong about GTK+2 apps. It would be good to transition eventually, and that transition is under way. I don't see this as such a big urgency. The user experience will be pretty much identical (perhaps worse: GTK+3 theming is still a nightmare, though that does seem to be stabilizing, finally, with a move to 100% CSS).

For those complaining that Xfce looks old fashioned ... I pity your lack of imagination. Here's my Xfce desktop, for which I puposely mimicked Unity's default look-and-feel, which I happen to love:

Full instructions for achieving this are here.

Comment

Very nice work! Xubuntu would do good to at least set the theme, font and terminal configurations like you have, to make a more uniform branding for the *buntus

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
                  Very nice work! Xubuntu would do good to at least set the theme, font and terminal configurations like you have, to make a more uniform branding for the *buntus
                  Thanks! Right now, every flavor has its own distinct theme, as part of the Ubuntu's project principle of giving each flavor autonomy to make its own decisions. Though I have my own opinion (I agree with you that a consistent color scheme, at least would be a good idea for all Ubuntu flavors), I respect that decision immensely. It just goes to show how really hands-off the Ubuntu project is, and repsectful of community, despite so many weird accusations about it.

Actually, the out-of-the-box experience in Xubuntu is not bad at all: Greybird is an elegant and bug-free theme. It does a superb job of supporting GTK+2 and GTK+3 applications transparently: you really can't tell the the difference. Few GTK+ themes can do this well. (Actually, the official GNOME3 Adwaita has been very buggy for me, only one of the reasons I refuse to use GNOME3 quite yet.) This result for Greybird took a lot of extra loving from the Xubuntu team, and I'm very grateful for them doing so. The Ambiance/Radiance Colors theme I now use took a long time to get to the same level of quality (I'm happy to have contributed some bug reports to make it happen).

Themes are a big deal! Lots of work, in development and QA. Theme devs don't get as much accolades as they deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
                    For those complaining that Xfce looks old fashioned ... I pity your lack of imagination. Here's my Xfce desktop, for which I puposely mimicked Unity's default look-and-feel, which I happen to love:

Full instructions for achieving this are here.
                    To me it still looks like Windows XP with a darker theme and a pretty background.

Comment

Seriously, who cares how it looks like? A DE's or WM's first and most important function is to support you in your work without getting in the way. Functionality is way more important than looks, at least if you actually have to do some work and not just want to impress your 12 years old friends how uber-cool your desktop looks like.

Comment

Working...
                      X