X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    Yes, I stumbled upon it ... notice that you cannot DISABLE shortcuts, just change them. Also the majority of comments I saw is that the add-on is actually pretty crap. So I'd have to remap new window to something else. Also installing extensions for anything that I want is not what I call usable (decent tab management, mouse gestures etc ...).
    In that case, why not try an extension that allows you to enable a "single-window browsing mode"? It's been a while, but if Tab Mix Plus is still around, it'd probably fit your needs.

As for the complaint about installing extensions, welcome to a world where Firefox is trying to please a world complaining about it being bloated and slow. (eg. They removed the RSS icon from the address bar specifically because heatmap visualization of UI studies via the Test Pilot extension showed that maybe 1% of people used it.)

Leave a comment:

• ssokolow
    replied
    Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
    I read some benchmark results too confirming that.. but I always had "a feeling" (didn't do any real monitoring) that chrome/chromium was using less RAM. Maybe is it just because of the ""sandboxing thingy""? I gave Firefox a try several times.. it feels complete, but TOO complete. Would be nice to have a stripped-down version of FF with everything else available through the Addons.
    Icecat probably will do, except someone pointed out it being based on a pretty old version of FF. Probably I should just stick with Chromium, it feels more convenient especcially if you use Google Hangouts. Let's not forget Midori...

Is it firefox (gecko) reinventing it self adding sandboxing? ..forgot the project name...
    Electrolysis or e10s for short. They've had support for a chrome/content process split in nightly builds for quite a while (to the point where there's an "Open new non-e10s window" option in the menu) and I just saw a blog post on Planet Mozilla a day or two ago about how they added Chrome-like process-per-extension support to the Firefox nightly builds and hoooked it up to AreWeE10SYet.com.

The #1 issue with getting Firefox reworked is doing it without breaking Firefox's extension ecosystem, which has the pros and cons of being based on an API that allows extensions to "just reach in and fiddle with anything you want" and a team of manual submission auditors at addons.mozilla.org. (The advantage compared to Chrome is that there are a lot of addons which are flat-out impossible in Chrome's restricted extension API, even after Google has kept adding new APIs to close the gap. Chrome's approach sort of has a chilling effect on innovation in that sense.)

Leave a comment:

• haplo602
    replied
    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
    CTRL+N is for New Window. CTRL+T is for New Tab.

If you googled a bit, you would've stumbled on this, it's like the third url that's offered:

http://dottech.org/157597/how-to-cha...shortcuts-tip/
    Yes, I stumbled upon it ... notice that you cannot DISABLE shortcuts, just change them. Also the majority of comments I saw is that the add-on is actually pretty crap. So I'd have to remap new window to something else. Also installing extensions for anything that I want is not what I call usable (decent tab management, mouse gestures etc ...).

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
    I'm not entirely sure but I think FF is now the most CPU-heavy browser, while Chrome is the most RAM heavy.
    I read some benchmark results too confirming that.. but I always had "a feeling" (didn't do any real monitoring) that chrome/chromium was using less RAM. Maybe is it just because of the ""sandboxing thingy""? I gave Firefox a try several times.. it feels complete, but TOO complete. Would be nice to have a stripped-down version of FF with everything else available through the Addons.
    Icecat probably will do, except someone pointed out it being based on a pretty old version of FF. Probably I should just stick with Chromium, it feels more convenient especcially if you use Google Hangouts. Let's not forget Midori...

Is it firefox (gecko) reinventing it self adding sandboxing? ..forgot the project name...

Leave a comment:

• Krejzi
    replied
    Originally posted by haplo602 View Post
    Can somebody recommend an easy to setup browser with tabs, session management and mouse gestures oh and of course windows and linux options ? I installed FF 35 and for the life of my I cannot prevent it opening new windows when I pres CTRL+N (I want a new tab in all instances). WTF ???

RIP Opera 12, the last usable browser on the planet.
    CTRL+N is for New Window. CTRL+T is for New Tab.

If you googled a bit, you would've stumbled on this, it's like the third url that's offered:

Like every browser, Firefox has a variety of keyboard shortcuts with which you can select the browser’s options with. However, Firefox doesn’t clearly list its keyboard shortcuts; nor does it include any customization options for them. To customize the Firefox keyboard shortcuts, add the Customizable Shortcuts extension to the browser. Open Firefox, go to this

Leave a comment:

• haplo602
    replied
    Can somebody recommend an easy to setup browser with tabs, session management and mouse gestures oh and of course windows and linux options ? I installed FF 35 and for the life of my I cannot prevent it opening new windows when I pres CTRL+N (I want a new tab in all instances). WTF ???

RIP Opera 12, the last usable browser on the planet.

Leave a comment:

• eydee
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I have had to make a lot of configuration changes in recent versions of Firefox to prevent it from phoning home. In particular, I cannot use the Cisco codec or it's auto-updater (GMPInstallManager) and have to replace URL's with empty strings in about:config in order to disable the checks. This is to ensure that neither Mozilla nor anyone else gets a list of all IP addresses I use. If the ability to change/erase these URL's gets removed as a feature the developers/target users don't use, I could block the phone-home URL's in /etc/hosts but first would have to know them.
    Firefox is for regular users, not for James Bond. You need to ask your agency or government to give you access to some special VPN or anything similar that can hide your IPs. It's not a feature that should happen on the browser level.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    I know right? About time. Though I'm not really keen on the word "partial" being used. I just hope I can get decent 1080p video playback, and preferably lower CPU usage. I'm not entirely sure but I think FF is now the most CPU-heavy browser, while Chrome is the most RAM heavy.
    I think the "partial" refers to the support only being turned on for a white-listed set of urls. Youtube is probably the only one (editable through config). Also, i think it might be preffed off for non-windows, as well. They support VP8 and h264, but not yet VP9, which means no 4K videos.

I've been using 36 beta for a while and its youtube native video support is definitely what i would call buggy, though MSE is a big improvement over FF35.
    Last edited by smitty3268; 24 February 2015, 09:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mark45
    replied
    Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post
    Firefox doesn't use GTK all that much except for some UI bits. The rest of it is all custom code. Also major applications require porting to Wayland beyond the toolkits because they often call X11 directly for some things.
    Yes, like listening to desktop events, like when the player is hidden in the system tray and you press the "play next" media key on your keyboard - gtk (and Qt) doesn't come with a solution for that, you have to search for solutions on the web, likely for a third-party library.
    Afaik Qt5 doesn't have such a solution at all atm because libqxt is dead.

Leave a comment:

• RahulSundaram
    replied
    With MSE right around the corner, that's one thing off the todo list. If GTK3 is done properly, wayland should work too. If the way they use GTK3 affects the rendering, CPU usage should drop. GTK3 could seriously benefit firefox.
    Firefox doesn't use GTK all that much except for some UI bits. The rest of it is all custom code. Also major applications require porting to Wayland beyond the toolkits because they often call X11 directly for some things.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X