Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exciting GNOME Changes For Fedora 22 Workstation Pushed This Week

Phoronix: Exciting GNOME Changes For Fedora 22 Workstation Pushed This Week

Matthias Clasen at Red Hat has landed some of the exciting Fedora 22 Workstation improvements this week that relate to the GNOME Shell environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Exciting GNOME Changes For Fedora 22 Workstation Pushed This Week
    I'm so fucking excited.

Comment

Originally posted by michal View Post
      I'm so fucking excited.
      Yeah, recently any change in any open source project appears to be very exciting. Linux, Gnome, Fedora, Mesa? Exciting times on phoronix! Usually the "exciting" changes are rather boring though.

Comment

So I guess my Dropbox icon will move to the top where it should be without needing an extension to do it?

Comment

So anyone using the AMD catalyst or Nvidia drivers can no longer use Fedora Gnome???

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
            So anyone using the AMD catalyst or Nvidia drivers can no longer use Fedora Gnome???
            Im gonna assume it will use mesa on the login screen and then load the blob with X inside the session or at least fallback on the login screen to X if wayland fails to load.

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
              even if that would be the case, what it most likely is not, I find it good to have one major distro, making free software drivers first class citecen, if you want a proprietary driver first class experience go for ubuntu linux mint, or ubuntu or maybe even arch linux. And its only the default nothing somebody cant change with a few small shell commands.

Fedoras marketing here is clear:

Learn more about Fedora Linux, the Fedora Project & the Fedora Community.

Freedom is the first mentioned in this foundations/core values. So hiding good new features to the users that use free drivers because this companies dont support it with their proprietary drivers would be a bad joke.
              Again there are enough distros that focus on opensource and dont care much about freedom. If fedora would not do that I would switch to archlinux in a eyeblink, that is one major point for me, after I got to deep down the rabbit hole with ubuntu going totaly nuts and evil. No more compromises at least less. I can ignore a few firmwares and stuff like that at least for now.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                So I guess my Dropbox icon will move to the top where it should be without needing an extension to do it?
                this is just a wild guess, but i think not. if you follow WoG on Google+, there was a lot of talk for moving notifications into time and date. but, that is message tray, not application tray. although, it would be nice if they adopted something like topicons by default

Note:  This blog post outlines upcoming changes to Google Currents for Workspace users. For information on the previous deprecation of Googl...

Comment

Originally posted by blackout23 View Post
                  gnome is really ridiculous on that setup. they are trying too much to be different than to be usable

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                    Im gonna assume it will use mesa on the login screen and then load the blob with X inside the session or at least fallback on the login screen to X if wayland fails to load.
                    If wayland does not work the login screen falls back to using X.

Comment

Working...
                    X