VLC 2.2 Has Many Features Coming, But VLC 3.0 Will Be Even More Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
    In my experience VLC and the related libs (ffmpeg/libav) became more and more crap. Things stopped working on all ends "and there is nothing you can do about it". The windows version lacks MIDI playback and others for years. In Linux, depending on ffmpeg/libav you can't playback DVDs or MP4 content and a lot of other stuff is messy. They should really check their SW quality.
    Inability to play DVD's or MP4's sounds like copy protection. I don't think I've bumped to many midis in the last five years

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
      The real question here is whether they are only supporting the depreciated slave mode or actually using MPV as a library via the client API (hopefully the latter)
      It seems to be the former. You can read a bit about it in this bug: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/1574. I haven't researched further, as I don't have a need for a GUI, plain mpv is pretty much perfect for me.

PS. Besides the client API, mpv also features a JSON based IPC protocol.

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
      In Linux, depending on ffmpeg/libav you can't playback DVDs or MP4 content and a lot of other stuff is messy. They should really check their SW quality.
      No such problems with mpv (and mplayer when I was still using it), so it seems the "blame" is on VLC's side.

Ok, mpv did have DVD issues, and in a fit of rage wm4 went and removed all DVD code from it, but then added it back and fixed it as far as he could. He doesn't have kind words for libdvdread/libdvdnav, so those are also a potential source of DVD-related issues. And of course the constant attempts by the media industry to cripple DVDs even more in the name of "protection".

(no idea why images are included).
      Two reasons immediately spring to mind - to be able to encode a series of images into a video, and for cover art. The latter is what mpv does, it uses ffmpeg's image decoders to display cover art when playing audio files.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        It seems to be the former. You can read a bit about it in this bug: https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/1574. I haven't researched further, as I don't have a need for a GUI, plain mpv is pretty much perfect for me.

PS. Besides the client API, mpv also features a JSON based IPC protocol.
        sigh
        If they're going to tote support for MPV, why do it in a way you know is completely broken? That just brings the reputation of both projects down
        I prefer plain MPV on my Linux system, but it's harder to get it to do things on Windows, my main workstation for various reasons... (some keyboard shortcuts are broken, playing just an audio file plays it in the background without popping up a window to pause/close the track, etc). So for Windows, a tiny GUI on top of MPV would be appreciated

No such problems with mpv (and mplayer when I was still using it), so it seems the "blame" is on VLC's side.

Ok, mpv did have DVD issues, and in a fit of rage wm4 went and removed all DVD code from it, but then added it back and fixed it as far as he could. He doesn't have kind words for libdvdread/libdvdnav, so those are also a potential source of DVD-related issues. And of course the constant attempts by the media industry to cripple DVDs even more in the name of "protection".
        I've actually had the opposite experience on my Linux system: vlc was able to play certain DVDs I have (albeit in horrible quality) while MPV just outright failed. The last time I tried was a few months ago though, I don't know if it was after that point that he "fixed" it as much as he could

Two reasons immediately spring to mind - to be able to encode a series of images into a video, and for cover art. The latter is what mpv does, it uses ffmpeg's image decoders to display cover art when playing audio files.
        That... actually makes a ton of sense. The first part I mean, the cover art thing would be stupid if that was the only reason the support was included haha

Comment

Does VLC still have its own "nice" touch on adding audio streams and subtitles?
          Smplayer and bomi as frontends for mplayer/mpv are the best at the moment. Smplayer is the most stable one but integrates mpv features slowly while Bomi integrates them fast but does have more regressions(though as fast as they appear they're dealt with).
          mpv has even automatic loading of audio files that have the same name as video file and Bomi can do it even if files are insde folders. This is fresh feature and is still abscent in Smplayer until the next release i suppose.
          Then there is nice managing of subtitles, lots of features there.
          Add to that how fast Smplayer/Bomi at everything they do and have zero artifacts on seeking(did VLC fix it? its been there for years).
          Oh and they do support Wayland already. The only reason VLC can be used is lack of Android version for Smplayer/Bomi.

Comment

but it's harder to get it to do things on Windows, my main workstation for various reasons... (some keyboard shortcuts are broken, playing just an audio file plays it in the background without popping up a window to pause/close the track, etc).
            Put force-window=yes and idle=yes in mpv's config file, that way you'll get a window for audio files or even if you just start the player itself without loading any file. You can then use the built-in OSC (on-screen controller) to control music, or the keyboard shortcuts too of course. To load files, just drag them onto this window.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
              Inability to play DVD's or MP4's sounds like copy protection. I don't think I've bumped to many midis in the last five years
              Nope, all of them played before. libdvdcss etc. didn't change. The MP4s were also Creative Commons and also worked in the past - before vlc/ffmpeg/libav ramped up with version numbers. Somewhere something went wrong. Also I ran into lots of issues when trying to replace ffmpeg with libav. I thought both were kind of the same.

Also a good read:

🎥 Command line video player. Contribute to mpv-player/mpv development by creating an account on GitHub.
              Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I don't think the developers even know how 2/3 of the codecs even work anymore.
                Accelerating codecs is surely nice but yes, if something breaks and they just do not notice or do not care then the product will not make sense for any user out there.

NOT STATIC PICTURES (I'm still confused by this)
                Indeed, this is somewhat strange. Maybe it was kind of a "side product" and because just to show "we can" they included that.
                Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Pulseaudio?

Comment

Put force-window=yes and idle=yes in mpv's config file, that way you'll get a window for audio files or even if you just start the player itself without loading any file. You can then use the built-in OSC (on-screen controller) to control music, or the keyboard shortcuts too of course. To load files, just drag them onto this window.
                    Yes, this. I used a pre-compiled binary for win32 that I just extracted and ran. It's awesome for USB Drives where you want to share a video with someone but you don't want to bother with downloading and installing a bunch of video players on their computer.

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
                      I'm having issues with VLC 2.2.0-pre2, the version that comes in Ubuntu 14.10. When watching a video, it:
                      • Often loses audio when seeking or rewinding.
                      • After closing the program, the system is always unresponsive for ~5-10 seconds.

The same thing works fine with Videos/Totem and it did not happen when using VLC with Ubuntu 14.04.

Anybody run into similar issues and managed to solve them?
                      I tried to post this earlier but it seems the text got lost.

In VLC preferences choose Audio and then output module. Be sure it is set to ?Pulseaudio? and not ?Default?. This fixes audio loss in Linux Mint 17.1 and the problem you describe when seeking/jumping.

Your second problem might relate to Pulseaudio which sometimes needs time to ?settle?. Stop playback, then wait a few seconds before you close VLC. This way I have been able to avoid freezes when closing VLC.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X