VLC 2.2 Has Many Features Coming, But VLC 3.0 Will Be Even More Exciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VLC 2.2 Has Many Features Coming, But VLC 3.0 Will Be Even More Exciting

Phoronix: VLC 2.2 Has Many Features Coming, But VLC 3.0 Will Be Even More Exciting

For those not closely following the development of the VLC open-source, cross-platform media player, the VLC 2.2.0 release is coming soon while further out is VLC 3.0 and it will be even more magical...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Many features coming indeed, but one is still missing - VAAPI zero-copy support.

Comment

Sounds great. I like the fact that many of these improvements are linux-specific. I might consider porting my XFCE setup to LXQt+wayland by the time this VLC 3.0 is released. Seems like a good time to do so.

Comment

I'm having issues with VLC 2.2.0-pre2, the version that comes in Ubuntu 14.10. When watching a video, it:
        • Often loses audio when seeking or rewinding.
        • After closing the program, the system is always unresponsive for ~5-10 seconds.

The same thing works fine with Videos/Totem and it did not happen when using VLC with Ubuntu 14.04.

Anybody run into similar issues and managed to solve them?

Comment

Originally posted by joh??n View Post
          I'm having issues with VLC 2.2.0-pre2, the version that comes in Ubuntu 14.10. When watching a video, it:
          • Often loses audio when seeking or rewinding.
          • After closing the program, the system is always unresponsive for ~5-10 seconds.

The same thing works fine with Videos/Totem and it did not happen when using VLC with Ubuntu 14.04.

Anybody run into similar issues and managed to solve them?
          I've found VLC has some of the screwiest config files of any software I have ever used. Very often my solution to fixing VLC issues is to delete the config folder (I think it's ~/.config/vlc) and start over. I keep backups of good and proven working configs in case something somehow manages to screw up my setup.

Just the other day in VLC some videos had this weird stripe issue or could only play the first few frames, but audio keeps going. I delete the config folder, copy over my backup config, and suddenly it works fine. I've had issues in the past where SPDIF would stop playing audio in 5.1 channels. I delete the config folder and the problem went away. The weird thing is I can take screenshots of how it looks and configure it the exact same way, yet it still screws up.

Comment

i thought vdpau (in vlc) was gpu -> gpu
            well, that explains the weird lines of blocks i'd get when messing with playback (mplayer vdpau didn't do them, but has another problem)

Comment

I am looking forward to VLC 3.0.0 with Wayland support.

Hopefully it is not far away.
              Really hope to see Firefox and Chrome come out with Wayland support too soon.

Comment

How is VLC supposed to do screen capture on Wayland? AFAIK there aren't any cross-compositor protocol extensions defined for things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
                  How is VLC supposed to do screen capture on Wayland? AFAIK there aren't any cross-compositor protocol extensions defined for things like this.
                  Hmmm that's a good question. I'm sure a workaround is to do xwayland, or if you have a HDMI capture card, you could clone you display and record through that.

On another note - there are plenty of videos out there of screen recordings of wayland. I'm sure some are done through a VM, but how are these others recorded?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    Hmmm that's a good question. I'm sure a workaround is to do xwayland, or if you have a HDMI capture card, you could clone you display and record through that.

On another note - there are plenty of videos out there of screen recordings of wayland. I'm sure some are done through a VM, but how are these others recorded?
                    Actually I just looked at the source code, looks like they're using the private screenshooter protocol from Weston, ie. it probably won't work anywhere else.

Comment

Working...
                    X