Wine-Staging 1.7.36 Has Threadpool, CUDA 7, NVENC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pontostroy View Post
    I fully agree with you and I think that nine would be a good start to support something different from nvidia not only in words.
    Gallium-nine is very close to the win8 catalyst performance, and even more effective than the win8 if used a slow processor(csmt lags very much without 4-8 cores 3 Ghz processor)
    My test
    CPU Core & frequency scaling: Wine(nine|csmt) vs Windows 8
    Linux gallium-nine vs Windows 8.1 catalyst
    The Talos Principle linux wine|nine vs windows
    Those are some impressive benchmarks. If you have a weak CPU or a game that demands a lot of CPU, it makes sense to use Gallium-Nine.

Even if you do get Wine developers to agree to Gallium-Nine, it's clear that anything with Wine developers is painful to get across. Wine needs a plugin system to allow this sorta thing more often. Instead of relying on the blessing of Wine developers. Imagine if Mantle was finally brought over to Linux and we wanted Mantle support implemented. It could be argued by developers that it isn't worth the 25,000 lines of code to maintain.

If Wine had a plugin system we could avoid a lot of this mess.

Comment

Originally posted by Dukenukemx View Post
      Those are some impressive benchmarks. If you have a weak CPU or a game that demands a lot of CPU, it makes sense to use Gallium-Nine.

Even if you do get Wine developers to agree to Gallium-Nine, it's clear that anything with Wine developers is painful to get across. Wine needs a plugin system to allow this sorta thing more often. Instead of relying on the blessing of Wine developers. Imagine if Mantle was finally brought over to Linux and we wanted Mantle support implemented. It could be argued by developers that it isn't worth the 25,000 lines of code to maintain.

If Wine had a plugin system we could avoid a lot of this mess.
      Plugins always sound so nice, but the truth is you always have to develop some kind of middleman situation in order for it to work. And then the middleman situation you find yourself in has to be robust enough to cover unknown situations.

That is exactly what galluim is for. It is the middleman situation.

EDIT: Maybe a wine state tracker
      duby229
      Last edited by duby229; 09 February 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

I don't get why ppl don't get the political problem with galium nine.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
          Explain it. It's not illegal. It's not immoral. It's not financial.

Comment

Originally posted by Thaodan View Post
            DO explain !

Comment

I like that people complain that Wine is nVidia specific while the Wine devs try to implement csmt that works for all drivers instead of relying on __gl_threaded_optimizations from nVidia blob driver to do pretty much the same thing from my understanding.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
                I like that people complain that Wine is nVidia specific while the Wine devs try to implement csmt that works for all drivers instead of relying on __gl_threaded_optimizations from nVidia blob driver to do pretty much the same thing from my understanding.
                wine just rely in good opengl support, there isn't a lot of vendor specific code. that's why intel iGPUs do better than they should do in some cases.

ps: nVidia was on old days, it's NVIDIA now.

Comment

I thought the conclusion was csmt had fundamental problems, will not be merged and instead a replacement will be designed by Wine devs. Sounds like far future fantasies to me rather than something that will help people today.

On another matter, does Wine use DSA in the dx to gl translation extensively?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    I thought the conclusion was csmt had fundamental problems, will not be merged and instead a replacement will be designed by Wine devs. Sounds like far future fantasies to me rather than something that will help people today.

On another matter, does Wine use DSA in the dx to gl translation extensively?
                    Fundamental problem is CSMT was written against d3d9 (as d3d in wine), they decided to refactor stuff in wine &csmt against dx10/11 instead of merging d3d9 version.

Comment

The flaw in CSMT is that -is- the cause of huge CPU overhead. Radeon users can just use nine and not worry get any of it. The only ones benefiting from CSMT are nvidia users anyways. It would be better for them to drop CSMT in favor of doing things the right way.

Look, The truth is that CSMT uses a ton of CPU that is totally unnecessary. If wine devs want to say that wine is not an emulator, then they really -need- to stop doinge stupid shit like that.

EDIT: They would have better luck lobbying nVidia to support nouveau then they are having writing giganticly complex hacks. If a hack isn't simple, it isn't worth it.
                      duby229
                      Last edited by duby229; 10 February 2015, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X