No announcement yet.

LXQt 0.9 Released, Now Requires Qt5 & KDE Frameworks 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup packages for Siduction are 100% compatibile with Debian Sid, so you can use that on Sid.

Those probably also work on current testing, but not recommended after or for Debian release for sure, for testing mostly because of timing issue .

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
      And for Arch i find only packages in the aur (lxqt-desktop-git) :/ and i like the stable versions but not the git version ....
      Hm, I am quite happy with the lxqt-desktop-git on arch linux. You can also get a user repo so you do not have to compile yourself.
      It works pretty well.

Comment

Qt5 isn't a surprise - I expected they were going to support that. But KF5? Lets hope this doesn't add too much bloat...

Comment

Installed lxqt-desktop-git, but didn't liked it much. I think I'll stay with KDE (plasma 5) and Xfce for now, but that may change.

Comment

Nice. And Gentoo is in the process of unmasking Qt5, so hopefully once 0.9 is packaged it won't have to be hardmasked like 0.8 had to (because even though it had backwards compatibility with Qt4 it wasn't feasible to use it instead of Qt5 support).

Originally posted by RGB-es View Post
            Some days ago, the LXQt team provided some "performance tips":

LXQt Performance Tips

a must read if you are planing to build LXQt from source.
            Interesting, a lot of that applies to Gentoo. I'll need to remember this when upgrading. Unfortunately right now Gentoo has only Qt 5.4.0... But maybe it will have 5.4.1 soon.

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Qt5 isn't a surprise - I expected they were going to support that. But KF5? Lets hope this doesn't add too much bloat...
            Uh, the whole reason behind KF5 is that it adds no bloat, it's completely modular. In fact, that was made so largely with LXQt in mind.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Qt5 isn't a surprise - I expected they were going to support that. But KF5?...
              Yes, they are using some parts of KF5. KF5 offers quite a number of abstractions over X11 and Wayland already; letting the LXQt guys work on the desktop and apps. They actually use a number of frameworks. For example I believe they are using the KArchive framework as well (since its only dependencies are Qt and the various archiving command-line utilities). Turns out splitting up kdelibs enriched the entire Qt community!
              Last edited by CTown; 08 February 2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTown View Post
                Yes, they are using some parts of KF5. KF5 offers quite a number of abstractions over X11 and Wayland already; letting the LXQt guys work on the desktop and apps. They actually use a number of frameworks. For example I believe they are using the KArchive framework as well (since its only dependencies are Qt and the various archiving command-line utilities). Turns out splitting up kdelibs enriched the entire Qt community!
                Interesting - that's good to know. I'm a big KDE fan, but I also like LXDE a lot too. As long as LXQt remains comparably slim to LXDE, I'll be happy. If it ends up being bloated by over 200%, then I think they're taking the wrong route. I understand it won't be smaller than LXDE and that's fine, but it shouldn't be much heavier than XFCE, in my opinion.

Comment

I want to check this out myself, I'm using what ever version of KDE OpenSuSE ships with right now and it's been working fine so far. Tho it will flake out from time to time mounting and unmounting removable media.

People complain that linux lacks standardization but I love the freedom of choice.

Comment

Originally posted by jmcharron View Post
                    I want to check this out myself, I'm using what ever version of KDE OpenSuSE ships with right now and it's been working fine so far. Tho it will flake out from time to time mounting and unmounting removable media.

People complain that linux lacks standardization but I love the freedom of choice.
                    I'd prefer the freedom to choose software, not distributions. Lack of standardization inevitably leads to users choosing distributions instead of software

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                      I'd prefer the freedom to choose software, not distributions. Lack of standardization inevitably leads to users choosing distributions instead of software
                      You hit a jackpot here sir. This is bit ache for me too.

Comment

Working...
                      X