Xfce 4.12 Planned For Release In A Few Weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    where to get news about LXQt implementation?
    About LXQt itself:

About implementation in Lubuntu You have to search on:

Blogger is a blog publishing tool from Google for easily sharing your thoughts with the world. Blogger makes it simple to post text, photos and video onto your personal or team blog.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
      just because XFCE was going nowhere & I still think it will go nowhere.
      That's how the users want it. There's no need to change something that works fine.

Comment

stagnation isn't good.
        This is precisely the point of view that got us into the whole Unity/Gnome3/Metro mess. When it comes to modern DEs, stagnation is about the best thing that can happen to them. Xfce guys are smart enough to admit that DE layouts reached perfection about 10 years ago and all the convergence crap is nothing but going downhill in desktop usability and productivity.

Comment

About GTK3, they better stop fucking around and breaking themes. I use xfce4, I don't want themes breaking constantly. If the toolkit is being updated to GTK3, then I think it might be a good idea to release it as xfce5. That way those of us that still use xfce4 wont get fucked with.

Not a big fan of how GTK3 is being maintained. They don't care one tiny little bit about breakage. I don't like it. I don't want to see xfce4 move to it. If they do anyway, then it's time to put versioning to good practice. Transitioning to GTK3 warrants a major version change.
          Last edited by duby229; 08 February 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
            LXQT is still very much alpha software and KDE is bloated.
            Cinnamon is the only modern DE that actually feels polished - shame it hogs memory though.
            You obviously haven't used Gnome 3 lately. It is very polished, snappy, and the extensions that are maintained work very well.
            Memory usage also keeps getting better. Mine is under 200mb with a ton of extensions installed.
            Extensions also allow an any user configurability that IMO KDE can only dream of.

Comment

Originally posted by grndzro View Post
              You obviously haven't used Gnome 3 lately. It is very polished, snappy, and the extensions that are maintained work very well.
              Memory usage also keeps getting better. Mine is under 200mb with a ton of extensions installed.
              Extensions also allow an any user configurability that IMO KDE can only dream of.
              There is no API for extensions and they are not supported and break after each new release, forcing maintainers to re-work them.
              "Polished" to me its ugliest UI, next to Ribbon.

This guy is showing the UI that uses same approach to LibreOffice and at least does not SUCK like G3 or Ribbon:

I wonder if G3 sucks, due to being designed by shady personalities.

Comment

Yes I've read that might not happen in 15.04 or even in 15.10, but still I'm staying with Lubuntu over Xubuntu.
                I've got quite powerful machine ( FX8320 + 32GB RAM + GTX750Ti ) but I feel the speed/responsiveness difference LXDE has over XFCE.

But I really hope LXQt will be in center of attention soon.
                Maybe my stable PPA of LXQt is of interest for you? ppa:joern-schoenyan/lxqt

I will build latest packages for Vivid tomorrow including some metapackages. Not sure if I manage to create live isos, I have some problems with Ubiquity :-/

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                  About GTK3, they better stop fucking around and breaking themes. I use xfce4, I don't want themes breaking constantly. If the toolkit is being updated to GTK3, then I think it might be a good idea to release it as xfce5. That way those of us that still use xfce4 wont get fucked with.

Not a big fan of how GTK3 is being maintained. They don't care one tiny little bit about breakage. I don't like it. I don't want to see xfce4 move to it. If they do anyway, then it's time to put versioning to good practice. Transitioning to GTK3 warrants a major version change.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    Unless you?re an Arch Linux user, that is.

Besides that, I agree with what you said about Gtk3 themes? Forgot to mention it in my previous post.

Comment

Stagantion?

Well, I did switch to Lubuntu recently ( 14.10 & I hope they switch to LXQt soon [15.04 maybe] ), just because XFCE was going nowhere & I still think it will go nowhere.
                      Don't undrstand Me wrong, I really like XFCE, but stagnation isn't good.

BTW I think Qt > GTK3 - but that's just my opinion.
                      Well, lack of resources can lead to some stagnation but we should learn how to be productive without a fat money bag. Economical (financial in fact) crisis will show its real dimensions to us in the near future... XFce need not any big changes because of its fully functional state.

Comment

Working...
                      X