X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stqn
    replied
    Originally posted by enihcam View Post
    One of the reasons people still consider using xfce is because it builds upon gtk2. If it had to switch, Qt5 would be better than Gtk3. Also, there are many Qt5-based app already.
    Agreed. I wouldn?t bear having these broken Gtk3 scrollbars everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• nanonyme
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    where to get news about LXQt implementation?
    Tried googling "lxqt"? The first hit is the project site

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
    Yes I've read that might not happen in 15.04 or even in 15.10, but still I'm staying with Lubuntu over Xubuntu.
    I've got quite powerful machine ( FX8320 + 32GB RAM + GTX750Ti ) but I feel the speed/responsiveness difference LXDE has over XFCE.

But I really hope LXQt will be in center of attention soon.
    where to get news about LXQt implementation?

Leave a comment:

• sgtGarcia
    replied
    Originally posted by J?rnS View Post
    LXQt will not arrive in Lubuntu 15.04, it's not even in Debian. From a end-user perspective, I would like to see LXDE until 16.04, having a side-by-side preview release with LXQt. Saying this as a big LXQt fan. LXDE is stable and mature.
    Yes I've read that might not happen in 15.04 or even in 15.10, but still I'm staying with Lubuntu over Xubuntu.
    I've got quite powerful machine ( FX8320 + 32GB RAM + GTX750Ti ) but I feel the speed/responsiveness difference LXDE has over XFCE.

But I really hope LXQt will be in center of attention soon.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post
    Qt is a collection of libraries, XFCE is a desktop environment ... also, what is "ductility" supposed to mean?

I mean hardware adaptability (the ability to optimize the hardware specific system).

Leave a comment:

• CrystalGamma
    replied
    Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
    Qt appears to be better than Xfce. Linux systems has to abandon older desktop environement preferring more reliable and flexible desktop engine. Simplification and hardware ductility by hardware acceleration and system management..
    Qt is a collection of libraries, XFCE is a desktop environment ... also, what is "ductility" supposed to mean?

Leave a comment:

• J?rnS
    replied
    Originally posted by sgtGarcia View Post
    Well, I did switch to Lubuntu recently ( 14.10 & I hope they switch to LXQt soon [15.04 maybe] ), just because XFCE was going nowhere & I still think it will go nowhere.
    Don't undrstand Me wrong, I really like XFCE, but stagnation isn't good.

BTW I think Qt > GTK3 - but that's just my opinion.
    LXQt will not arrive in Lubuntu 15.04, it's not even in Debian. From a end-user perspective, I would like to see LXDE until 16.04, having a side-by-side preview release with LXQt. Saying this as a big LXQt fan. LXDE is stable and mature.

Leave a comment:

• Azrael5
    replied
    Qt appears to be better than Xfce. Linux systems has to abandon older desktop environement preferring more reliable and flexible desktop engine. Simplification and hardware ductility by hardware acceleration and system management..

Leave a comment:

• sgtGarcia
    replied
    Well, I did switch to Lubuntu recently ( 14.10 & I hope they switch to LXQt soon [15.04 maybe] ), just because XFCE was going nowhere & I still think it will go nowhere.
    Don't undrstand Me wrong, I really like XFCE, but stagnation isn't good.

BTW I think Qt > GTK3 - but that's just my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• Ancurio
    replied
    Originally posted by emblemparade View Post
    Well, I'm slightly concerned about how Xfwm is ready for Wayland. Will it be possible to use plain Weston for Xfce? If not, what should we do? My thought is that in the next two years Wayland and Mir will become viable, and I want my favorite desktop to be ready for it. The shift to GTK+3 is important if only just because of this.
    No, and GTK3 will change very little about it. X11 is a "free for all" protocol where any client can assume any role and have complete control over other clients, which makes it possible to develop all DE components as standalone programs, for example the Xfce4 panel is just a regular client manipulating its size and position and the status of other clients in a unique way. Under Wayland no client has these privileges and any visible applets / panels has to be integrated directly in the compositor.

I don't think we need to rush to Wayland, X11 will be supported for a very long time so you don't have to worry about apps stopping to work, and the current Xfce4 works well enough IMO.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X