Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Management Being Further Improved In KDE Plasma 5.3

Phoronix: Power Management Being Further Improved In KDE Plasma 5.3

KDE Plasma 5.2 was just released a few days ago but for power KDE Plasma 5.3 are already exciting features building up, including greater power management capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, those are some amazing changes being added to Plasma's power management. The ability to grant an app the privilege of not locking your screen is very nice. So much more elegant compared to turning off power management completely. I also like that the feature where closing the lid of a laptop does not lock the session of an external screen is connected. Though, I stopped using that as much since I can load videos off a flash drive on my TV... Read the blog for some pretty pictures!

Comment

I wish suspend wasn't such a mess on linux. Here's an example: I'm skyping family and the computer suspends in the middle of the conversation. Now it would be nice to whitelist apps that prevent suspend, but I don't want the computer NOT suspending just because skype is open. I want it NOT suspending specifically when I'm chatting. I guess linux can't know this (unless the chat window had its own binary) so app developers should implement suspend inhibition. WHY DON'T THEY? Same with video and music players.

Comment

I just switched from KDE4 to Plasma 5.3 GIT, it's already in a pretty good shape
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
          I wish suspend wasn't such a mess on linux. Here's an example: I'm skyping family and the computer suspends in the middle of the conversation. Now it would be nice to whitelist apps that prevent suspend, but I don't want the computer NOT suspending just because skype is open. I want it NOT suspending specifically when I'm chatting. I guess linux can't know this (unless the chat window had its own binary) so app developers should implement suspend inhibition. WHY DON'T THEY? Same with video and music players.
          Music player should only inhibit automatic suspend, not eg suspending while on battery and closing lid. I and probably many others use this feature for quickly getting laptop in a state where you can leave

Comment

I want it NOT suspending specifically when I'm chatting. I guess linux can't know this (unless the chat window had its own binary) so app developers should implement suspend inhibition. WHY DON'T THEY? Same with video and music players.
            There is no general opportunistic suspend except on Android. Until there is, app devs have no incentive to support such for a tiny amount of users.

Comment

Laziness, I guess? Suspend inhibition and lid-related things are all exposed by systemd-logind.

Now turning the screen off/reducing brightness is a different matter, I think, since that needs to be implemented in the X server. Which nobody really cares about. But we're likely to get that support in Wayland.

Comment

I guess that the only thing suspend action looks for is idle keyboard and idle mouse events to go into suspend.

If we use joystick (xbox or playstation or other devices) the system will go to suspend.

Also the suspend mechanism should 'see' for audio playback... if audio is playing, don't suspend.

Comment

Except for my current laptop while it's on battery, I don't think I have ever enabled suspend on any system I have ever owned, including Windows PCs. I just find it annoying and if I'm done using the computer I'm just going to turn it off or hibernate (and even then, I rarely ever hibernate).

But hey, if you people think suspend on linux is bad, try a hackintosh!

Comment

The kded5 bug...

I really wish they would just patch this bug immediately. On my desktop it's annoying since it ramps my whole computer to 4.5 ghz, and on my laptop/atom processor it destroys performance. This seems like less of a bug and more of a reason to use gnome from now on.

Comment

Working...
                    X