LibreOffice 4.4 Released With Better OOXML Support, UI Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LibreOffice 4.4 Released With Better OOXML Support, UI Improvements

Phoronix: LibreOffice 4.4 Released With Better OOXML Support, UI Improvements

LibreOffice 4.4 is now available as the newest version of this leading open-source, cross-platform office suite...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Beauty?

While it is functional, I wouldn't put beauty and LibreOffice/OpenOffice on the same page.

Comment

Kanotix nightly iso images will have it tomorrow. Right now the Kanotix lo repo mirrors the official packages (use !lo in chat).

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
        While it is functional, I wouldn't put beauty and LibreOffice/OpenOffice on the same page.
        "Most beautiful" means the same as "least ugly". It just depends if you're a glass-is-half-full or glass-is-half-empty kind of person.

Comment

I don't know; I quite like how simple LibreOffice documents look, when using the default Text Styles, and the Liberation fonts. And while I can't speak for the Windows or OSX versions, the interface seems basically the same as I remember MSOffice did back in 2003 or so, though everything still seems laid out easily enough so that I can find everything quickly.

Obviously I use LaTeX for any "real" documents I produce, but if I'm just bashing together some notes before/after a meeting (which can still get quite complex and long in content, but I may only have a very short time in which to draft them), then in my opinion it's pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
            I don't know; I quite like how simple LibreOffice documents look, when using the default Text Styles, and the Liberation fonts. And while I can't speak for the Windows or OSX versions, the interface seems basically the same as I remember MSOffice did back in 2003 or so, though everything still seems laid out easily enough so that I can find everything quickly.

Obviously I use LaTeX for any "real" documents I produce, but if I'm just bashing together some notes before/after a meeting (which can still get quite complex and long in content, but I may only have a very short time in which to draft them), then in my opinion it's pretty good.
            Yeah, I'd say that from what you say our usage patterns are probably similar. For what I use it for it's adequate. I stopped paying for MS Office after I started using Open Office. So for me the interface is perfectly familiar.

Comment

I don't have any biases against LibreOffice's user interface at all, I actually prefer it in comparison to something like the current MS Office. While some do value appearance over function, I think the Ribbon isn't very intuitive at all. It looks pretty but the fact that its users need to retrain themselves to use a non-transferable skill is something of a waste. MS Office might still be the overwhelming office suite out there but for anyone who is ignoring the changes we're going through that's a short-sided mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Sama Vim View Post
                I don't have any biases against LibreOffice's user interface at all, I actually prefer it in comparison to something like the current MS Office. While some do value appearance over function, I think the Ribbon isn't very intuitive at all. It looks pretty but the fact that its users need to retrain themselves to use a non-transferable skill is something of a waste. MS Office might still be the overwhelming office suite out there but for anyone who is ignoring the changes we're going through that's a short-sided mistake.
                1. Learning the interface to most productivity applications is a "non-transferable" skill, so I don't understand your point there
                2. The Ribbon isn't just there to look pretty, it allows access to more options on the "toolbar" than the 2003 interface ever did in the same amount of space (and less, if you "roll it up"). Not to mention the neat categorization of functions the tabs provide. TL;DR: The ribbon is form AND function combined.

That being said, personal preferences are everything. If the 2003 look (AKA Libre/OpenOffice) works best for you, awesome. But don't put down the ribbon just because you like a different UI more.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                  1. Learning the interface to most productivity applications is a "non-transferable" skill, so I don't understand your point there
                  2. The Ribbon isn't just there to look pretty, it allows access to more options on the "toolbar" than the 2003 interface ever did in the same amount of space (and less, if you "roll it up"). Not to mention the neat categorization of functions the tabs provide. TL;DR: The ribbon is form AND function combined.

That being said, personal preferences are everything. If the 2003 look (AKA Libre/OpenOffice) works best for you, awesome. But don't put down the ribbon just because you like a different UI more.
                  It's only really big, bloated, proprietary applications that take enough effort to learn the UI for to warrant describing it as a "skill".

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
                    It's only really big, bloated, proprietary applications that take enough effort to learn the UI for to warrant describing it as a "skill".
                    Vi

(1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10char)

Comment

Working...
                    X