Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KWin 5.3 To Have New Speed Optimizations

Phoronix: KWin 5.3 To Have New Speed Optimizations

Martin Gr??lin has fixed some outstanding bugs and further tuned the performance of the KWin window manager for the KDE Plasma 5 stack...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sweet. I just installed plasma 5 on my main workstation. Still a bit rough in the edges, not entirely translated, some missing functionality, etc... But nothing I can't live with, and it seems really promising overall. Now the only thing the KDE community needs is more developers, as usual... Honestly, it even seems in a good shape to threaten some Windows market share. The Linux community needs to evolve even faster !

Comment

I'll wait until it is really ripe and nice. I never made the KDE 4.0 mistake, and I do not intend to do so with any KDE SC 5.0/5.1 and so on. I guess when Gentoo maintainers think it is okay and won't explode your box it will be fairly fine.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
        I'll wait until it is really ripe and nice. I never made the KDE 4.0 mistake, and I do not intend to do so with any KDE SC 5.0/5.1 and so on. I guess when Gentoo maintainers think it is okay and won't explode your box it will be fairly fine.
        I think plasma 5 already is way better working than early kde 4.
        For me kde 4 got stable around kde 4.6. Plasma 5 already is stable. It is a little bit ruff around the edges. Some animations look strange, some stuff is not ported, a lot of less plasmoids etc. But everything works and nothing is crashing. I don't know why but everything is feeling lighter and faster. I don't know if it really is faster and lighter but the animations and the responsiveness is really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          Phoronix: KWin 5.3 To Have New Speed Optimizations

Martin Gr??lin has fixed some outstanding bugs and further tuned the performance of the KWin window manager for the KDE Plasma 5 stack...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...d-Optimization
          I've been toying around with the new Plasma UI for a month now, people like Martin and his fellow developers have done a great job in getting KDE ready for Wayland. One thing that bothers me with KDE is its settings dialog. Theme, colors, style, icons, and animation settings seem to be all over the place and can leave the user a bit dizzy trying to navigate all of them. All I am saying is the KSettings app could use a little love, but KDE still rocks.

Comment

This is the news from KDE I've been waiting for. Having heard several months ago that KWin had performance problems that was causing abnormally large resource usage is what's kept me on LXQT and not venturing into KDE 5. I think I'll take Kubuntu for a spin if the 15.04 release is on or moves to KWin 5.3 shortly after launch.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
              The KDE maintainers are very keen to avoid a repeat of the KDE4 fiasco - IIRC, that was part of the motivation for splitting the SC into three different projects.
              I'm actually looking forward to using it under Gentoo (well, Sabayon) the moment it hits testing, although it looks like it's not quite there yet...

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                All I am saying is the KSettings app could use a little love, but KDE still rocks.
                That's in the pipeline. It will be a complete visual overhaul. But they're not rushing it in order to not weird people out.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud View Post
                  Theme, colors, style, icons, and animation settings seem to be all over the place and can leave the user a bit dizzy trying to navigate all of them. All I am saying is the KSettings app could use a little love, but KDE still rocks.
                  I believe that this was addressed in Frameworks 5.3. In any case, I remember that they reorganised quite a few things related to settings, based on the input from the Visual Design Group.

Comment

Originally posted by rdnetto View Post
                    The KDE maintainers are very keen to avoid a repeat of the KDE4 fiasco
                    It wasn't even their fault. Okay, maybe they should have avoided the X.0 naming scheme and written 3.99 or 4.0-alpha/RC1. But they always said it isn't ready for users. API and lib functions are stable, so devs can write programs for it. But some distributions were totally crazy about it and just put it in and released this upon the end users. That was bad.
                    Gentoo had it optionally, but you actually had to unmask it. So you could have it if you really wanted but normal stable release was iirc. somewhere at 4.2.x. or even 4.3 when it was fairly usable.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Working...
                    X