Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    I agree that Flash is dying because support for it on mobile devices is almost non-existent and a lot of sites are being redesigned to work well with mobile browsers and HTML 5, which is good, however some websites (mainly online game sites like miniclip.com) still heavily use it and sometimes its fun to play monster trucks.

Leave a comment:

• Luke
    replied
    No Pipeline/Chrome on anything of mine

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
    Nobody uses the outdated Linux Flash plugin in Firefox any longer.

They either use the Windows Flash Player 16 plugin on Linux Firefox via Pipelight or use the Linux Chrome Flash Plugin 16 wrapper in Firefox. However, I think even more people are using Chrome or Chromium w/ add-on plugin. I personally use both but it appears that Firefox is losing marketshare to Chrome, which is unfortunate.
    If I have to use flash for some oddball video (mostly older stuff host sites have not converted and many never convert), I do in fact use flash 11.2 and have never encountered a use case for newer flash features. Flash is dying, new flash features may never become commonly required-and that is a damned good thing. I'm just glad torbrowser now works well with HTML5 for poaching Youtube content for untracked download or audio capture via pulseaudio, as I never trusted flash for this. I still do use a separate torbrowser directory for that and nothing else, copied into /tmp (a tmpfs on my setup) as always.

I do not have chromium on any of my machines because I discovered that I cannot secure it against being tracked by browser fingerprinting. As for preloading settings, I do not allow any site to use persistant storage for any reason. I always run browsers from RAM with a new copy of the .mozilla directory with totally empty history and databases(including no flash cookies). Has anyone done a careful check of "wrappered" pepper flash in Firefox with Wireshark running to ensure it is not phoning home to Google or for that matter Adobe? That's exactly how the Google Chrome spyware was found by those who initially publicized it.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    i did read that freshplayerplugin maybe used, but isnt that just a wrapper?

i very raarely use Firefox anyway, i mainly use Chrome mainly for Flash updates
    Yes it's a wrapper around Chrome PPAPI-based Flashplugin to run on the Firefox NPAPI system. Pipelight Flashplayer can also be used.

I personally use both Pipelight for Silverlight, Unity3D, and Shockwave support on Linux Firefox and FreshPlayerPlugin for Flash.

When you factor all that, Firefox is the most plugin-capable browser on Linux. Plus you need Firefox or another NPAPI supporting browser if you want to use the Java web plugin (IcedTea).

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    i did read that freshplayerplugin maybe used, but isnt that just a wrapper?
    ppapi2npapi compatibility layer. Contribute to i-rinat/freshplayerplugin development by creating an account on GitHub.

i very raarely use Firefox anyway, i mainly use Chrome mainly for Flash updates
    Last edited by Anvil; 13 January 2015, 12:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DanL
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I read a while back that there have been GTK3 builds of firefox for a while, but Flash will never work with them because it invokes the "Gtk2 and Gtk3 in same
    process" situation
    Oh yeah, I forgot about that (ran into it with Midori). I knew there was a reason I didn't care about FF using gtk3...

I do and I'm sure plenty of others do as well. I'll fire up chromium if I need a later version of Flash for some reason, but that's rare.

Leave a comment:

• Xaero_Vincent
    replied
    Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Or the bag of hurt outdated Flash based support in Linux [outside of Chrome] making many sites that use Flash to preload settings a real pain in the rear.

They either use the Windows Flash Player 16 plugin on Linux Firefox via Pipelight or use the Linux Chrome Flash Plugin 16 wrapper in Firefox. However, I think even more people are using Chrome or Chromium w/ add-on plugin. I personally use both but it appears that Firefox is losing marketshare to Chrome, which is unfortunate.

Leave a comment:

• ihatemichael
    replied
    Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
    Didn't Phoronix ban some guy that would often troll, and no nothing but correct people's capitalization of the name of a particular toolkit? Are you him by chance, especially with your username?
    QuickTime has nothing to do with Rebecca Black OS either.

Leave a comment:

• Marc Driftmeyer
    replied
    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    Unless the PDF reader got faster, I don't find anything too exciting here.
    Or the bag of hurt outdated Flash based support in Linux [outside of Chrome] making many sites that use Flash to preload settings a real pain in the rear.

Leave a comment:

• nerdopolis
    replied
    Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
    QuickTime has nothing to do with this.
    Didn't Phoronix ban some guy that would often troll, and no nothing but correct people's capitalization of the name of a particular toolkit? Are you him by chance, especially with your username?

Leave a comment:

• ihatemichael
    replied
    Originally posted by Luke View Post
    I read a while back that there have been GTK3 builds of firefox for a while, but Flash will never work with them because it invokes the "Gtk2 and Gtk3 in same
    process" situation, same as what happens if you try to build some MATE elements with GTK2 and others with GTK3. Flash development in Linux other than
    pepper flash has stopped, meaning we can forget flash with GTK3 and thus must choose between GTK3 and flash.

For online video, flash is receding fast, I rarely use it these days and disable it by default. I hear reports about other things like video chat that I do not use
    and therefore cannot evaluate.

Firefox can probably run in Xwayland now, so there would always be the option of a wayland native build without flash support alongside a "firefox-legacy"
    built with gtk2 and without flash to handle non-HTLM5 cases, perhaps auto-launched. Another way would be to port the whole mess to QT, and then run
    any Flash elements in an xwayland window. Gtk2 and QT should be able to get along, unlike GTk2 and Gtk3 in the same process.
    QuickTime has nothing to do with this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X