No announcement yet.

Firefox 35 Is Ready For Release, Available For Download Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember going to IRC to complain/talk about how hard it is to add shortcuts to the panel and how things should play together (LXDE from a few years ago), and there should be some standard way of doing that. But in fact there were already stuff like xdg-menu, xdg-desktop-icon and xdg-user-dirs already standardizing that.

(On the other hand the panel was obtuse about only accepting "official" shortcuts already accessible from the menus, a solution was to create a .desktop - using another desktop environment makes it easy - and copying it to /usr/share/blah) (I couldn't try new major versions yet, lxpanel 0.7.x and 0.8, there are been major changes to the panel)

My point is I believe that every time we say "I have that great new idea, things should be done like that" there is a great probability that someone already thought of it and even that it is implemented already (in most any domain, like say fiscal incentives to insulating your house)
    There's some many interoperability and infrastructure already but sometimes a little glue is missing to connect the pieces.. And GTK3 gets much of its hate from evolving constantly.
    Last edited by grok; 14 January 2015, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Setting GtkWidget-wide-separators: true in any GTK3 theme is the cause of the sidebarhover bug (entries that move around and render twice).
      This sounds like something I'm seeing with gtk2 with current freetype. In the Sylpheed list of folders, when getting mail each folder moves up/down a few pixels before settling down. Long shot, but have you heard of such?

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
        My point is I believe that every time we say "I have that great new idea, things should be done like that" there is a great probability that someone already thought of it and even that it is implemented already
        Obviously. Qt seems to have implemented it already. The question is only why GTK3 doesn't. (Actually, looking at it, in Firefox I get the Qt dialog at the moment, so it looks like GTK2 does implement it as well.)

Comment

They might be not pleased with the prospects of GTK3 dialogs "downgraded" to GTK2, else that seems to be the problem with Gnome 3 / GTK3 developers living in their own island and the lack of communication.

I even find bleeding-edge Gnome 3 work intruiguing in a good way (the new gedit, dialogs turned "upside down" with the buttons on top etc.), that is innovation but they should give up believing they can force all of that stuff down on everyone. We don't lack alternatives and some people even end up going to Windows or Mac OS.
          Last edited by grok; 14 January 2015, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            Actually, looking at it, in Firefox I get the Qt dialog at the moment, so it looks like GTK2 does implement it as well.
            Firefox is a special case where it has been patched to use the correct dialogs. That doesn't work in general with GTK2 or GTK3 apps. Theming has the same issue, Qt apps respect GTK themes, but not vice versus.

Comment

Segfault at start...

There's some nasty bug in Firefox I report on every new major version (the segfault only happens when I compile with AVX optimization):

Just in case someone has a clue what's happening...

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                No it's not, by environment I meant environment variables. If there is some sort of $PREFERRED_FILECHOOSER environment variable, or some other variable that gives information on whether you're running a DE that prefers Qt or GTK, it could use that information to invoke the right file chooser. Like you said, Qt apps invoke the GTK2 file chooser on relevant platforms, so it's not like it's impossible to do.
                Most likely is DESKTOP_SESSION.

Comment

Wow from now I'll do echo $DESKTOP_SESSION on every computer to see if it works.

Comment

What about Firefox 35 changes?

The bit in changelog about using resources when scaling (big) images is nice, perhaps that will fix some crashes when opening a large image - I had that happen yesterday. Older versions of Firefox used to be much much worse.
                    Especially important as web devs don't bother resizing their images before uploading them! it's often left for the html to scale it down and then if you happen to open the image (say, right-click on it then middle-click "Display image") then you get the actual file, often with twice the pixels. Nice when I want to see the picture more clearly but the higher res picture is like an easter egg.

Comment

Originally posted by grok View Post
                      Wow from now I'll do echo $DESKTOP_SESSION on every computer to see if it works.
                      Okay, its either DESKTOP_SESSION('kde' or 'gnome'), thats for example how Qt blends into GNOME (GTK blends into nothing, lol), or XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP.

Comment

Working...
                      X