Firefox 35 Is Ready For Release, Available For Download Now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
    i did read that freshplayerplugin maybe used, but isnt that just a wrapper?

i very raarely use Firefox anyway, i mainly use Chrome mainly for Flash updates
    Yes it's a wrapper around Chrome PPAPI-based Flashplugin to run on the Firefox NPAPI system. Pipelight Flashplayer can also be used.

I personally use both Pipelight for Silverlight, Unity3D, and Shockwave support on Linux Firefox and FreshPlayerPlugin for Flash.

When you factor all that, Firefox is the most plugin-capable browser on Linux. Plus you need Firefox or another NPAPI supporting browser if you want to use the Java web plugin (IcedTea).

Comment

No Pipeline/Chrome on anything of mine

Originally posted by Xaero_Vincent View Post
      Nobody uses the outdated Linux Flash plugin in Firefox any longer.

They either use the Windows Flash Player 16 plugin on Linux Firefox via Pipelight or use the Linux Chrome Flash Plugin 16 wrapper in Firefox. However, I think even more people are using Chrome or Chromium w/ add-on plugin. I personally use both but it appears that Firefox is losing marketshare to Chrome, which is unfortunate.
      If I have to use flash for some oddball video (mostly older stuff host sites have not converted and many never convert), I do in fact use flash 11.2 and have never encountered a use case for newer flash features. Flash is dying, new flash features may never become commonly required-and that is a damned good thing. I'm just glad torbrowser now works well with HTML5 for poaching Youtube content for untracked download or audio capture via pulseaudio, as I never trusted flash for this. I still do use a separate torbrowser directory for that and nothing else, copied into /tmp (a tmpfs on my setup) as always.

I do not have chromium on any of my machines because I discovered that I cannot secure it against being tracked by browser fingerprinting. As for preloading settings, I do not allow any site to use persistant storage for any reason. I always run browsers from RAM with a new copy of the .mozilla directory with totally empty history and databases(including no flash cookies). Has anyone done a careful check of "wrappered" pepper flash in Firefox with Wireshark running to ensure it is not phoning home to Google or for that matter Adobe? That's exactly how the Google Chrome spyware was found by those who initially publicized it.

Comment

I agree that Flash is dying because support for it on mobile devices is almost non-existent and a lot of sites are being redesigned to work well with mobile browsers and HTML 5, which is good, however some websites (mainly online game sites like miniclip.com) still heavily use it and sometimes its fun to play monster trucks.

Comment

I still use the old Flash in Firefox, because for some odd reason, freshplayerplugin doesn't work with 60 FPS YouTube. The old one does though. This is really weird, I know.

Comment

I install firefox + flash in wine.... none of that hoky pipelight bussiness ;-)

I thorughly convinced mozilla should just grow up and ditch NPAPI and implement PPAPI.... that said they wont because they want all plugins to die in a fire.

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post
              I install firefox + flash in wine.... none of that hoky pipelight bussiness ;-)

I thorughly convinced mozilla should just grow up and ditch NPAPI and implement PPAPI.... that said they wont because they want all plugins to die in a fire.
              1. Pipelight is literally native Linux Firefox + Flash/Silverlight/etc running in wine and being "piped" to Firefox. That's exactly what you're describing...
              2. If you've ever been on a Firefox thread here before, you should know that there are real technical reasons why Firefox doesn't implement PPAPI. One of which being that they can't. There's basically zero documentation to go off of, for example.

Comment

I'm tempted to switch back to Firefox on my Windows machine from Chrome. Recently I've been having a ton of issues with Chrome and none of them appear to be getting fixed. For example, Tabs crashing when they're opened, blank tabs when they're opened (have to close the tab completely to fix this), images not loading/taking too long to load, Chrome starts quickly but takes a while to actually load a webpage initially (longer than Firefox). Most of those issue are pretty recent (probably ~6 months) except the blank tabs one.

Comment

Isn't it cute that they had to increase the major version number again for minor changes, while it's still Firefox 5.x by any sane versioning scheme?

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
                    Isn't it cute that they had to increase the major version number again for minor changes, while it's still Firefox 5.x by any sane versioning scheme?
                    But hey, our version is almost same as Chrome's. Soon.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                      But hey, our version is almost same as Chrome's. Soon.
                      Firefox should switch to Blag Linux's version numbering system. They are at version 140,000!

http://www.blagblagblag.org/download/index.html

Comment

Working...
                      X