Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefox 35 Is Ready For Release, Available For Download Now

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #11
    GTK3 breaks Flash in Firefox

    Originally posted by DanL View Post
    When it's ready. Subscribe to the tracking bug instead of bitching on Phoronix: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=627699
    GTK3 will support Wayland, so I don't know if they need to do anything special for it.
    I read a while back that there have been GTK3 builds of firefox for a while, but Flash will never work with them because it invokes the "Gtk2 and Gtk3 in same
    process" situation, same as what happens if you try to build some MATE elements with GTK2 and others with GTK3. Flash development in Linux other than
    pepper flash has stopped, meaning we can forget flash with GTK3 and thus must choose between GTK3 and flash.

    For online video, flash is receding fast, I rarely use it these days and disable it by default. I hear reports about other things like video chat that I do not use
    and therefore cannot evaluate.

    Firefox can probably run in Xwayland now, so there would always be the option of a wayland native build without flash support alongside a "firefox-legacy"
    built with gtk2 and without flash to handle non-HTLM5 cases, perhaps auto-launched. Another way would be to port the whole mess to QT, and then run
    any Flash elements in an xwayland window. Gtk2 and QT should be able to get along, unlike GTk2 and Gtk3 in the same process.

    Comment


    • #12
      Gotta say, this release isn't that exciting. I was hoping for MSE and GTK3 support by now.

      Comment


      • #13
        Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
        Gotta say, this release isn't that exciting. I was hoping for MSE and GTK3 support by now.
        MSE is really missing.
        Youtube often has problems in HTML5 mode for me
        https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=881514

        Comment


        • #14
          Originally posted by Luke View Post
          I read a while back that there have been GTK3 builds of firefox for a while, but Flash will never work with them because it invokes the "Gtk2 and Gtk3 in same
          process" situation, same as what happens if you try to build some MATE elements with GTK2 and others with GTK3. Flash development in Linux other than
          pepper flash has stopped, meaning we can forget flash with GTK3 and thus must choose between GTK3 and flash.

          For online video, flash is receding fast, I rarely use it these days and disable it by default. I hear reports about other things like video chat that I do not use
          and therefore cannot evaluate.

          Firefox can probably run in Xwayland now, so there would always be the option of a wayland native build without flash support alongside a "firefox-legacy"
          built with gtk2 and without flash to handle non-HTLM5 cases, perhaps auto-launched. Another way would be to port the whole mess to QT, and then run
          any Flash elements in an xwayland window. Gtk2 and QT should be able to get along, unlike GTk2 and Gtk3 in the same process.
          QuickTime has nothing to do with this.

          Comment


          • #15
            Originally posted by ihatemichael View Post
            QuickTime has nothing to do with this.
            Didn't Phoronix ban some guy that would often troll, and no nothing but correct people's capitalization of the name of a particular toolkit? Are you him by chance, especially with your username?

            Comment


            • #16
              Originally posted by DanL View Post
              Unless the PDF reader got faster, I don't find anything too exciting here.
              Or the bag of hurt outdated Flash based support in Linux [outside of Chrome] making many sites that use Flash to preload settings a real pain in the rear.

              Comment


              • #17
                Originally posted by nerdopolis View Post
                Didn't Phoronix ban some guy that would often troll, and no nothing but correct people's capitalization of the name of a particular toolkit? Are you him by chance, especially with your username?
                QuickTime has nothing to do with Rebecca Black OS either.

                Comment


                • #18
                  Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
                  Or the bag of hurt outdated Flash based support in Linux [outside of Chrome] making many sites that use Flash to preload settings a real pain in the rear.
                  Nobody uses the outdated Linux Flash plugin in Firefox any longer.

                  They either use the Windows Flash Player 16 plugin on Linux Firefox via Pipelight or use the Linux Chrome Flash Plugin 16 wrapper in Firefox. However, I think even more people are using Chrome or Chromium w/ add-on plugin. I personally use both but it appears that Firefox is losing marketshare to Chrome, which is unfortunate.

                  Comment


                  • #19
                    Originally posted by Luke View Post
                    I read a while back that there have been GTK3 builds of firefox for a while, but Flash will never work with them because it invokes the "Gtk2 and Gtk3 in same
                    process" situation
                    Oh yeah, I forgot about that (ran into it with Midori). I knew there was a reason I didn't care about FF using gtk3...

                    Nobody uses the outdated Linux Flash plugin in Firefox any longer.
                    I do and I'm sure plenty of others do as well. I'll fire up chromium if I need a later version of Flash for some reason, but that's rare.

                    Comment


                    • #20
                      i did read that freshplayerplugin maybe used, but isnt that just a wrapper?
                      https://github.com/i-rinat/freshplayerplugin
                      i very raarely use Firefox anyway, i mainly use Chrome mainly for Flash updates
                      Last edited by Anvil; 13 January 2015, 12:05 AM.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X