Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 1.7.34 Now Supports Surround Sound With DirectSound

Phoronix: Wine 1.7.34 Now Supports Surround Sound With DirectSound

Wine 1.7.34 was released today as the latest bi-weekly development release for this program to run Windows programs -- and games -- on Linux and other operating systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In this wine version have sound improvements in sound, however some voices sound too far and explosions sound (effects mainly sound more close)

In Assassins Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer announcer voice sound far, in 1.7.33 sound correctly

Comment

But DirectSound is deprecated since Vista isn't it?

Comment

Fucking finally! I would compliment them, but this is something we should have had in wine 1 decade ago, so I won't.

Comment

What about the ancient problems with multi threading?

Such as this:

Code:
          err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
          err:ole:CoInitializeEx Attempt to change threading model of this apartment from multi-threaded to apartment threaded
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000d9
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000da
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000db
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000dc
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000dd
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000de
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000df
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000005f
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000aa
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000ab
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000a7
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000a8
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000006b
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000007a
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 00000059
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 0000007c
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000b0
          fixme:thread:start_thread Started native thread 000000c5
          fixme:thread:SetThreadIdealProcessor (0x23c): stub
          In Tera Online, Guildwars2, Skyrim games no difference in performance between low and high settings.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
            Fucking finally! I would compliment them, but this is something we should have had in wine 1 decade ago, so I won't.
            I wrote the surround sound patches. I'm neither a Codeweavers employee nor a regular contributor to the project - I did it because, like you, I was annoyed that nobody had done it already. So you're welcome, I guess.

Originally posted by magika View Post
            But DirectSound is deprecated since Vista isn't it?
            The headline's a touch misleading. Yes, the bulk of the patches were in dsound, but xaudio2 should work with surround sound as well now. In fact, if you're running on Windows XP mode, which is still the default on Wine, xaudio2 will use dsound rather than connecting directly to WASAPI.

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
            In this wine version have sound improvements in sound, however some voices sound too far and explosions sound (effects mainly sound more close)
            There's about three or four patches which haven't yet made it in - in particular I submitted a patch to fix a channel remapping bug in winealsa, which they appeared to have overlooked. I'd suggest either waiting for 1.7.35, or waiting a few days for the new wine-staging to come out and using Pulse with that.

Comment

Originally posted by hellas View Post
              I wrote the surround sound patches.
              Thanks!
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

I wrote the surround sound patches. I'm neither a Codeweavers employee nor a regular contributor to the project - I did it because, like you, I was annoyed that nobody had done it already. So you're welcome, I guess.
                Thank you ! It would be great if some more sound fixes will come from your hand

Comment

The headline's a touch misleading. Yes, the bulk of the patches were in dsound, but xaudio2 should work with surround sound as well now. In fact, if you're running on Windows XP mode, which is still the default on Wine, xaudio2 will use dsound rather than connecting directly to WASAPI.

There's about three or four patches which haven't yet made it in - in particular I submitted a patch to fix a channel remapping bug in winealsa, which they appeared to have overlooked. I'd suggest either waiting for 1.7.35, or waiting a few days for the new wine-staging to come out and using Pulse with that.
                  Thanks for response and for your work

In my case i wait until 1.7.35 (only use biweekly official releases) however staging have very interesting things (recently CUDA support and other things) but until dont stay approved for wine devs, i dont think testing

I leave this test with total overdose:

Total Overdose Test DirectSound

Linux Mint 17 XFCE 32bits con el Wine 1.7.34 + Nvidia 346.22

Total Overdose Test DieselSound

Linux Mint 17 XFCE 32bits con el Wine 1.7.34 + Nvidia 346.22

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

However is interesting how affect fps performance Diesel Sound (Recommended for 2 and 4 speakers configuration) mode in this game (In my case have 2 speakers only) meanwhile Direct Sound (Recommended for 5.1 and 7.1 speakers configuration) have mofe fps performance

Comment

Surround sound support... thats great news.

Here is a bug fix in 1.7.34 that is actually big news IMO:

34330 Wine64 does not work on FreeBSD

I'm taking this to mean that its now possible to run 64-bit Windows apps in Wine on FreeBSD? From my understanding this has long not been supported.

Comment

Working...
                    X