Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluxbox 1.3.6 Released After Two-Year Wait

Phoronix: Fluxbox 1.3.6 Released After Two-Year Wait

After nearly two years since the previous release, the Fluxbox team has released Fluxbox 1.3.6 (codenamed "It's about time") to start off the new year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wayland?

Is anyone porting Fluxbox to Wayland?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      I don't think they have any plans for that. It relies too much on x11.
      I guess it would be better to rewrite it from scratch.
      Anyway it would continue to work using xwayland.

Comment

Schweet!

Same question. But Wayland is very rough today. Porting Fluxbox might bring fully-functioning lightweight solution to it, however.

Comment

Originally posted by parad0x View Post
          I don't think they have any plans for that. It relies too much on x11.
          I guess it would be better to rewrite it from scratch.
          Anyway it would continue to work using xwayland.
          Think the Flux devs are waiting for Wayland to be feature and ABI complete before considering porting FB to it. Certainly parts would have to be rewritten to use Wayland calls rather than X11

Comment

If it is going to be ported, then probably as some kind of weston plugin, as weston (or any wayland compositor) does so much more than a window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepDayze View Post
              Think the Flux devs are waiting for Wayland to be feature and ABI complete before considering porting FB to it. Certainly parts would have to be rewritten to use Wayland calls rather than X11
              Not just parts would need re-writing... it would be pretty much everything except maybe the bits that read from config files. FB isn't using toolkits for rendering - it uses X directly - so everything that deals with graphics and rendering would need to be replaced. And all of the window-management functionality is based on X11 protocols, event handling, EWMH hints, etc - which likewise are irrelevant on Wayland.

Most likely, if Fluxbox is ever available on Wayland, it will be because someone wrote from scratch a Weston plugin that replicates the classic Fluxbox look-and-feel. There'd be very little code in common, if any.

Comment

Working...
              X