Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Mutter Now Uses GTK+ For Drawing All Window Decorations

Phoronix: GNOME Mutter Now Uses GTK+ For Drawing All Window Decorations

A number of improvements landed this morning for GNOME's Mutter window manager to change the way decorations are drawn and removing support for the old Metacity theme format...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Slightly off-topic, I might switch to Gnome next year because unlike KDE it has realistic chances of being ready for Wayland next year (not just a preview). I do hate Gnome and Gtk but I really want to use a desktop-ready Wayland server and tinker with it.

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
      Slightly off-topic, I might switch to Gnome next year because unlike KDE it has realistic chances of being ready for Wayland next year (not just a preview). I do hate Gnome and Gtk but I really want to use a desktop-ready Wayland server and tinker with it.
      i tried F21 with Wayland and it downright floored me how everything worked. the only thing i noticed not working is scrolling on right side of my touchpad whivh works OTB in xorg. hats off for the work being done there.

Comment

Enlightenment already has an already fully-fleshed out compositor with wayland support, but it still works off xorg atm. Also it was a bit buggy for me around when E19 came out (the whole thing, not just the wayland support). They are also working on making the whole thing run on wayland and use xwayland for xorg stuff. It seems GNOME is going to have a very feature complete compositor in due time though, since they are actively trying to integrate xdg-shell, so that is what I am looking at next. Right now I am using i3 though, since no good wayland tiling systems exist yet. I hope that i3 weston plugin gets picked up by somebody.

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
          i tried F21 with Wayland and it downright floored me how everything worked. the only thing i noticed not working is scrolling on right side of my touchpad whivh works OTB in xorg. hats off for the work being done there.
          Well, for my Haswell notebook and F21, the Wayland option didn't work as smooth as the standard X config.
          Visible latency, stuttering/jitter, when moving windows or scrolling. Nothing extreme but visible in comparison.
          Could it be the intel driver is not yet optimised for Wayland?

Several month ago I tried Rebecca Black OS with my desktop system (AMD) and this was smooth as butter.
          However, it is using Weston as a Wayland compositor instead of GNOME Mutter.
          So, it could be also Mutter not yet performing greatly.

Any ideas/information about the current state, that could explain what I experience?

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            Well, for my Haswell notebook and F21, the Wayland option didn't work as smooth as the standard X config.
            Visible latency, stuttering/jitter, when moving windows or scrolling. Nothing extreme but visible in comparison.

Several month ago I tried Rebecca Black OS with my desktop system (AMD) and this was smooth as butter.

Any ideas/information about the current state, that could explain what I experience?

Thanks!
            i tried on my r600 and friends Intel (don't know which one, but i can ask if you want). whole thing was really smooth, more than xorg, less than weston. so, your guess about Mutter might be spot on.

still, just comparing resize in for example firefox/chrome and epiphany was worlds apart.

but, i would point out this is first real worlds usable implementation where whole desktop works like it should, not to be glorified demo. i expected whole lots of troubles in F21, but the result was completely different experience. give it time now that they are getting feedback on their first real worlds implementation

Comment

Originally posted by justmy2cents View Post
              i tried on my r600 and friends Intel (don't know which one, but i can ask if you want). whole thing was really smooth, more than xorg, less than weston. so, your guess about Mutter might be spot on.

still, just comparing resize in for example firefox/chrome and epiphany was worlds apart.

but, i would point out this is first real worlds usable implementation where whole desktop works like it should, not to be glorified demo. i expected whole lots of troubles in F21, but the result was completely different experience. give it time now that they are getting feedback on their first real worlds implementation
              I agree.

1.) Make it work.
              2.) Make it work fast.

And it seems it works flawless so far.

Do Qt5 and GTK+ apps run natively on F21?
              Or is every window run through XWayland?
              How can I check this?

Comment

Thanks!
                Last time I used GNOME's Wayland session it was still using X11 backend for GTK3 apps. Which basically meant that while mutter is indeed running as Wayland compositor, the apps were running through Xwayland. According to http://fedoramagazine.org/gnome-on-w...-in-fedora-21/ this is still the case in F21.

Comment

If you mean next year's Spring, I expect you're right. Next year's Fall I'd expect more DE's to have reasonable Wayland support.

Comment

Thanks!
                    did you start your applications with xwayland or native. To use the native backend I think you need to start the app with <env GDK_BACKEND=wayland <appname>>

Comment

Working...
                    X