Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kodi 14.0 Released For The Holidays - Formerly Known As XBMC

Phoronix: Kodi 14.0 Released For The Holidays - Formerly Known As XBMC

Kodi, the rename of XBMC, is out with its first release under the new branding. Besides changing names, Kodi 14.0 brings a number of improvements to this popular open-source multimedia center software...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For the first time in years, upgrading doesn't seem to give me anything interesting.
    I can't find one bit I care for on the news, and starting Kodi it looks the same as well...

Comment

Really looking forward to installing Kodi on my HTPC which I'll be building from spare parts this christmas.
      Any idea if AMD cards(using the open source driver) work well for DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming on Linux? or should I stick to Nvidia?

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
        Really looking forward to installing Kodi on my HTPC which I'll be building from spare parts this christmas.
        Any idea if AMD cards(using the open source driver) work well for DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD bitstreaming on Linux? or should I stick to Nvidia?
        Yes, this all is supposed to work great now. Check this thread for current status of Radeon VDPAU related stuff: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=174854

I have an older e450 APU mini-itx board, and the Radeon driver has been phenomenal. Kudos to everyone working on it. I think those new AM1 APUs will be awesome for HTPCs.

Comment

Originally posted by benmoran View Post

I have an older e450 APU mini-itx board, and the Radeon driver has been phenomenal. Kudos to everyone working on it. I think those new AM1 APUs will be awesome for HTPCs.
          Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by lolnope View Post
            There is currently a bug in mesa 10.5 in vdpau which causes kodi to segfault. Check this bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=86837 (It seems both mesa and kodi devs are working on it)
            Should this be fixed, the mesa drivers are in good shape (in fact, they were before the offending git commit). Can't tell about DTS and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
              For the first time in years, upgrading doesn't seem to give me anything interesting.
              I can't find one bit I care for on the news, and starting Kodi it looks the same as well...
              14.0 isn't Kodi's most ambitious release when it comes to new features. The biggest thing is probably the updated ffmpeg and support for h.265 and vp9. I'm guessing the devs wanted to get the updated ffmpeg and the new logo/name out before the end of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                14.0 isn't Kodi's most ambitious release when it comes to new features. The biggest thing is probably the updated ffmpeg and support for h.265 and vp9. I'm guessing the devs wanted to get the updated ffmpeg and the new logo/name out before the end of the year.
                http://trac.kodi.tv/roadmap
                Don't forget VAAPI's VPP support. This is a really big improvement for all the LiveTV users.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post
                  If I remember correctly, they switched to a "tic/toc" (this is how they call it) release cycle, alternating bugfixes and stability enhancement releases with features releases. This is why they also have a download link for Kodi 15 beta on their website

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    http://trac.kodi.tv/roadmap
                    Well, I wish they would let us use a shared ffmpeg so that I never had to worry about it...
                    But overall, since I have no x265 media, I do not care yet. And if I had, I could play them with mpv anyway.

Originally posted by fritsch View Post
                    Don't forget VAAPI's VPP support. This is a really big improvement for all the LiveTV users.
                    Well maybe that's nice for some, but VDPAU is more than enough for me.

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
                    If I remember correctly, they switched to a "tic/toc" (this is how they call it) release cycle, alternating bugfixes and stability enhancement releases with features releases. This is why they also have a download link for Kodi 15 beta on their website
                    Oh I didn't see that, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X