Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yahoo To Become Default Search Provider For Firefox

Phoronix: Yahoo To Become Default Search Provider For Firefox

Mozilla announced on Wednesday that Yahoo is going to become the default search provider for Firefox rather than Google...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If they make more money out of it I'm glad, I can still choose whatever I want.

Comment

Yahoo still exists? Should be good for finding all those old Geocities sites...

Comment

I think Yahoo gives better cashback

But if users change Mozilla's homepage to Google they will be far to bargain...

Comment

I don?t think they need more money to make the GUI crappier and remove features, as they?ve done since FF4.

Comment

Ya-who?

Comment

Our new search strategy doubles down on our commitment to make Firefox a browser for everyone. We believe it will empower more people, in more places with more choice and opportunity to innovate and ultimately put even more people in control over their lives online.
              Does anyone feel ready to innovate after this news?

Comment

I bet this will be a good reason to bump Firefox version numbers to a 3-digit range!

Comment

Originally posted by kaprikawn View Post
                  Yahoo still exists? Should be good for finding all those old Geocities sites...
                  Weren't they bought out by Microsoft?

Also I wonder what that means for Mozilla's financial situation ... did Yahoo (Microsoft?) really offer them more money than Google does now?

I want Mozilla to be able to continue in their full capacity, they are doing so many important thing for FOSS:
                  Not only Firefox (which, understandably, has seen a decline in userbase in favor of Chrom{e, ium} because of performance and UI/UX), but also more low-level projects such as Daala (a next-gen video codec) and Rust (a high-performance memory-safe programming language, which I'm using in all my personal projects now).

Comment

Most distributions will (probably) leave google option on (defaults can be set via ./configure option).

Comment

Working...
                    X