No announcement yet.

PulseAudio 6.0 Is Coming & Other Linux Audio Plans For The Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd consider "despite my best efforts, PulseAudio idles at 4% CPU (8% of one core) on an AthlonII X2 260 if an application decides to hold open its audio handle without actually playing anything" an example of "makes the desktop more bloaty".

It's also got buggy ALSA emulation so I keep finding new games where they worked fine under ALSA+dmix (until ALSA suddenly decided my unused S/PDIF output was primary) but I have to edit their .desktop files to set PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 to make audio playback work properly under PA.

I'm really getting tired of hitting Vote/MeToo on already-filed bugs for these things that have been around for a while with nothing happening.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      on an AthlonII X2 260
      Ugh. Athlon II X2 270. I hate it when I don't notice typos until it's too late.

Comment

Originally posted by phdemartin View Post
        Now PulseAudio is mandatory if you want to use Skype for your comunication, in my case, a Swiss guy living in Chile, I need it.
        I prefere strait Alsa and Jack for my Ardour Mixing, but no choise here
        thankfully you don't have to use it
        just use this https://github.com/i-rinat/apulse

Comment

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
          Its a broken piece of shit that turns your audio quality to crap,
          Bug number?
          causes problems with app and games,
          Bug numbers?
          and breaks tons of multimedia creation software
          Bug numbers?

Or are you just one of those whiners that never actually report a bug, as mentioned above?

Comment

jack = 40k lines of C, avg number of comments, works perfectly
            PA = 150k lines of C, low number of comments, buggy

funny how that goes

edit: they decided to not have a shm interface...
            something that a sound server should have (only that if you ask me)
            Last edited by gens; 11 November 2014, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
              can't edit anymore
              just wanted to say that the last time i spoke about PA i said that it was going in the right direction because of that shm API
              i take that back, it's never going to be done properly

Comment

+1

Originally posted by Rallos Zek View Post
                Its a broken piece of shit that turns your audio quality to crap, causes problems with app and games, and breaks tons of multimedia creation software requiring you to remove all the pulseaudio shit out of you system to get work done.

Its made the same person that birthed systemd so you know the people who defend pulseaudio are just as crazy and brainwashed.
                Literally had issues with it today.

Skype(i am not a happy user of which) just hangedtoday when i tried to kill pulseaudio.(other VOIP app was having strange noise because of Pulseaudio) And I didn't even know it!
                Unfortunately skype only uses pulseaudio, thats only reason i use pulseaudio.
                \
                Pulseaudio devs, make sure please it causes not problems for Alsa.

Comment

Originally posted by dimko View Post
                  Literally had issues with it today.

Skype(i am not a happy user of which) just hangedtoday when i tried to kill pulseaudio.(other VOIP app was having strange noise because of Pulseaudio) And I didn't even know it!
                  Unfortunately skype only uses pulseaudio, thats only reason i use pulseaudio.
                  \
                  Pulseaudio devs, make sure please it causes not problems for Alsa.
                  use this for skype
                  no need for pulse
                  PulseAudio emulation for ALSA. Contribute to i-rinat/apulse development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Originally posted by gens View Post
                    jack = 40k lines of C, avg number of comments, works perfectly
                    PA = 150k lines of C, low number of comments, buggy

funny how that goes

without attempting to fuel a flamewar I will just point out that Jack has a very specific purpose (low-latency audio work) and Pulseaudio has a much broader role, like the article's mentioned bluetooth support.

[edit] I'll also point out that many of the people that say Pulse is broken often point to Skype as an example. I would advise bringing it up to Skype's attention/file a bug report to PA it is indeed pulse's fault. Offhandedly, I'll also point out that Skype is hardly a solution anyone should be using...

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
                      without attempting to fuel a flamewar I will just point out that Jack has a very specific purpose (low-latency audio work) and Pulseaudio has a much broader role, like the article's mentioned bluetooth support.
                      true
                      but they do the same thing, except for bluetooth
                      bluetooth is a couple hundred lines of C max

Comment

Working...
                      X