Mozilla's Servo Engine Is Crazy Fast Compared To Gecko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    "but there's not yet any plans for using Servo to replace Gecko within Firefox or Thunderbird"

Which makes the whole thing completely useless for regular users. Do they expect us to move to mobile devices from our PCs? Microsoft couldn't do it, Mozilla won't be able either. A PC cannot be replaced by mobile devices.
    The intention is to use Servo on all platforms, it's the next generation. They just haven't "set a date" yet and committing to roll-out on one platform at a time with limited number of developers who can work on it.

Comment

While Servo is about looks of it, it is redefining DOM too. And JS/Engine interface for DOM especially.

Since its common nowadays to use JS to post-process web page into desired look, such tests are perfectly acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
        Unfortunately, 4 cores on Android is not that common.
        It will be commons when Servo reaches production quality.

Comment

Huffington Post

Render that site and let it sit there for 10 minutes while it reshuffles updates.

Show me the Memory footprint and responsiveness of it at that point in time. You'll discover the browser feels like it is running in sludge.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
            "but there's not yet any plans for using Servo to replace Gecko within Firefox or Thunderbird"

Which makes the whole thing completely useless for regular users. Do they expect us to move to mobile devices from our PCs? Microsoft couldn't do it, Mozilla won't be able either. A PC cannot be replaced by mobile devices.
            The goal is to replace Gecko with Servo. There are just no plans to do so on the desktop Firefox/Thunderbird, yet.

Comment

Originally posted by przemoli View Post
              That's good news.

Unfortunately, 4 cores on Android is not that common. On the web when there is high pressure for speed but not for throughput even less?

Activating sleeping core is time & energy consuming process. So either cores are always online or it wont work that well.

Webpage loading is single time task. Then for long period there is noting to do. (Moving cursor do not count!)

On the other hand that single core score is really promising
              Also can we have some JS heavy tests too?
              Do you have a reference regarding your comment about how common four cores are in android? They've been around for several years now, it's not as though they add greatly you the expense and, from what I've heard, Chinese/Korean(Japanese?) see the more cores as a positive selling point (I'd hazard that Americans are the same). Iirc I heard this from the ux guru don Norman.
              Regarding hot-plugging cores, much work has gone into that, and much still remains, but there parameters currently in use by most OEMS work well for most leads. That is, you get both more potential throughout and less energy usage with power-planed cores. It's all part of the ongoing effort to make the scheduler more power aware (there was a section at this year's Linux plumbers that covered this topic).
              Webpages ate not nearly as static as they once were. The big reason behind this has been ajax. Depending on how the app is constructed you may get lots of data at once then hide/show divs, or grab days as needed and perform re-layouts, or a combination of the two.
              Servo is only a layout engine right now. They haven't yet worked on optimizing the rendering paths yet (that's why the repaints on page resizes are show relative to gecko), also they haven't integrated spidermonkey/ionmonkey yet. This is also coming up soon as their intent is to use the spidermonkeys GC routine to handle dom cleanup for servo. Apparently Google is planning on doing the same with v8 and blink.

Comment

I think I would be hard pressed to find single core devices outside of flip phones and bargain text devices.

Media consumption devices now come in 2/4/8 cores. 2 core is being phased out right now and 4 core is becoming even the bargain standard.

Comment

Originally posted by clementl View Post
                  Firefox already uses SpiderMonkey's successor, IonMonkey.
                  just a slight correction: the name of the JS VM is still Spidermoney. Ionmonkey is just the optimization engine inside the VM.

Comment

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
                    One main difference is that Servo is multi-thread while geko (and firefox in general) is single threaded (which is why if a page locks up, the entire browser locks up ).
                    Why post lies? Gecko and firefox has been multithreaded for several years now.
                    Last edited by Rallos Zek; 10 November 2014, 04:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post
                      Firefox is awfully slow on my Atom netbook, it?s too bad they?re not considering replacing gecko for the desktop version. Although I don?t know if it is gecko or something else that is so slow.
                      You should try

Comment

Working...
                      X