Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy to use frontend

Git needs a easy to use frontend.

Git may be a wonderful technology, but it is difficult to use.
    It is difficult to understand which commands there are, what they mean, when to use them, how to use them, and the work flow.

Most people who use Git do so with GitHub. GitHub is so widespread that it is synonymous with Git. Perhaps more people are familiar with GitHub than Git itself.

Git needs to be more easy to use.

Comment

- VS express compiler is a version or two older than paid VS, so it lacks features
      - mingw cannot use everything VS can
      - testing needs to be on native Windows anyway

etc etc. having ported more than a few apps to Windows myself, I fully agree how much of a PITA the platform is. I have personally stumbled in more bugs in their C library than I have fingers.

To put it in another way, if you think Windows is such a wonderful platform, I'm sure the git folks are happy to host the Windows installer you make.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        - VS express compiler is a version or two older than paid VS, so it lacks features
        That's not true. It used to take them several months to release the express edition, but it was never two versions behind, and lately they've been releasing the express editions at the same time as the full editions.

I suspect there's just not enough Windows users complaining. Most use TortoiseGit or the Git client built into Visual Studio.

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
          Is it so hard to compile the latest version for all platforms?
          The windows versions of git are maintained and built by a separate group of people at msysGit (http://msysgit.github.io/). They maintain a fairly large set of patches for making git work well on windows, largely as a result of file system differences. Eventually some of those patches get merged upstream, but essentially upstream git provides no support for git on windows besides linking to the latest msysGit release and occasionally merging their patches.

Comment

Originally posted by Skrapion View Post
            That's not true. It used to take them several months to release the express edition, but it was never two versions behind, and lately they've been releasing the express editions at the same time as the full editions.

I suspect there's just not enough Windows users complaining. Most use TortoiseGit or the Git client built into Visual Studio.
            Yeah, TortoiseGit+msysGit+PuTTY with Pageant is a pretty strong combo for graphically handling Git over SSH on Windows

Comment

Working...
            X