X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mlau
    replied
    rTorrent is pretty nice. It's also very ssh friendly with its curses
    GUI, and very efficient in terms of CPU usage.

Leave a comment:

• DarkFoss
    replied
    I'm quite happy with KTorrent for most of my needs...Occasionally I do use Azureus if I need an expanded network of peers
    do to it's greater compatibility with other clients.

Leave a comment:

• Synergy6
    replied
    Originally posted by yoshi314 View Post
    but since utorrent got that 'corporate' feel, i got a change of heart about it.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but is uTorrent not on the same release as before it got taken over?
    Synergy6

Leave a comment:

• yoshi314
    replied
    Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
    Well, I use Azureus which isn't so bad but I'm open to try Ktorrent.

I hope uTorrent releases a Linux version.
    i loved utorrent because it was a shining example of how apps should really be written.

most programmers just go the easy way, making their software bloated by borrowing as much code as possible from existing solutions, to avoid writing as much code as possible, or just because some other programming language is easier to write the app with. ("why should we care? today's hardware will take it").

but since utorrent got that 'corporate' feel, i got a change of heart about it.

oh well, i don't use windows anymore anyway :]

i'm a linux console freak, and rtorrent is my client of choice. it keeps it dependencies to reasonable minimum (curl, sigc++, ncurses), and the client is small and fast, with pretty efficient ncurses ui. if you think it's too bloated for you - maybe ctorrent is what you need :]

it doesn't have all the features of utorrent (dht, rss is missing, maybe some kind of scheduling as well) but it's going forward at a somewhat steady rate.

Leave a comment:

• niniendowarrior
    replied
    Well, I use Azureus which isn't so bad but I'm open to try Ktorrent.

I hope uTorrent releases a Linux version.

Leave a comment:

• Licaon
    replied
    Trasmission rullz... if you want to download the whole torrent

Leave a comment:

• 1c3d0g
    replied
    I really hope they do, or at least make a worthy GTK+ client. Right now Deluge isn't bad, but the resource consumption is insane! Some improvement in this area is desperately needed.

Leave a comment:

• Michael
    replied
    Will BitTorrent Open Source ?Torrent?

After the recent announcement by BitTorrent Inc that it has acquired the popular, lightweight Windows torrent client, ?Torrent, there has been much speculation about the company making the source code of ?Torrent public.

?TorrentBitTorrent Inc?s official client is Open Source. Sadly, it is unpopular among users due to its bulky nature, and has lost market share to other, more lightweight and feature-full clients like ?Torrent and Azureus. At one point, Azureus had many features that ?Torrent could not boast of, but this has since changed and ?Torrent is now a very feature-rich, and at the same time, small and lightweight program. People like it so much that they even go to great lengths to emulate it on Mac OS X and Linux.
    After the recent announcement by BitTorrent Inc that it has acquired the popular, lightweight Windows torrent client, uTorrent, there has been much speculation about the company making the source code of uTorrent public.

Leave a comment:

• Rob Williams
    replied
    Screw uTorrent. Like heck I want to use a client thats essentially is tight with the MPAA. I like to download in private.

KTorrent is the only option for Linux, unless you want the Java-whoring Azureus.

Leave a comment:

• colo
    replied
    I don't really see a good point in a company (or whatever else entity) abandon a neatly working, cross platform, free software solution to a problem in favour of a proprietary, win32-only one.

For GNU/Linux, there's KTorrent, as Michael already stated in the initial posts, and it's doing perfectly fine, whilst being free.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X