Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.1 Now In Beta

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.1 Now In Beta

The beta for KDE Plasma 5's second release is now available ahead of its planned launch in October...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder when its going to be ready for the public (when KDE distros will include it by default?)

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
      I wonder when its going to be ready for the public (when KDE distros will include it by default?)
      Probably in DistroRelease.next().next(); since the various distros have already said they're not going to make it default in their DistroRelease.next(); versions

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
        Probably in DistroRelease.next().next(); since the various distros have already said they're not going to make it default in their DistroRelease.next(); versions
        The other issue is that it's not nearly the end product us end users expect. What we expect from this "next gen" product is this:

1) New, next-gen shell/compositor/whatever based on Qt5 (which is plasma5 and what not). Check.
        2) The default desktop apps ported to Qt5 too. Not done yet.
        3) A Wayland port. Not done yet.

So plasma5 only represents like 1/3 of the functionality of what we'd call "the KDE5 desktop". The full "KDE5 desktop" with Wayland will be ready by like 2016.

PS:
        Gee do I hate endless renaming and repackaging of the same old concepts for PR purposes.

Comment

can't install kde frameworks 5: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=524174

## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
            The other issue is that it's not nearly the end product us end users expect. What we expect from this "next gen" product is this:

1) New, next-gen shell/compositor/whatever based on Qt5 (which is plasma5 and what not). Check.

So plasma5 only represents like 1/3 of the functionality of what we'd call "the KDE5 desktop". The full "KDE5 desktop" with Wayland will be ready by like 2016.

PS:
            Gee do I hate endless renaming and repackaging of the same old concepts for PR purposes.
            True, although applications are supposed to be mostly done in KDEApplicationsRelease.next().next() so hopefully by KDEApplicationsRelease.next().next().next()

I'm more thinking mid-late 2015 tbh

Comment

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
              True, although applications are supposed to be mostly done in KDEApplicationsRelease.next().next() so hopefully by KDEApplicationsRelease.next().next().next()

I'm more thinking mid-late 2015 tbh
              I doubt Wayland support is fully baked until 2016, but we'll see. The desktop and apps should at least be done and released next year.

Comment

I couldn't care less about Wayland. Give me #2 and I'll be happy.

Can't argue with that

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I doubt Wayland support is fully baked until 2016, but we'll see. The desktop and apps should at least be done and released next year.
                  As long as it can be used without reduced capabilities or performance with Wayland+XWayland, it'll probably be fine for end-users during migration period

Comment

Yeah but the first two are enough for now.

Yup!

Comment

Working...
                    X