Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Applications 14.12 Release Schedule Published

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Applications 14.12 Release Schedule Published

    Phoronix: KDE Applications 14.12 Release Schedule Published

    KDE Applications 14.12 has a release date...

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTc5NjI

  • #2
    Gotta love the new naming convention: Frameworks, Plasma, Applications... KDE 5, eh, I mean Plasma 5.0 final has been released on july and it's not yet usable for production.

    I just wanted to know when KDE 5 will be feature complete... a simple release date. Is that asking too much?

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by halo9en View Post
      Gotta love the new naming convention: Frameworks, Plasma, Applications... KDE 5, eh, I mean Plasma 5.0 final has been released on july and it's not yet usable for production.

      I just wanted to know when KDE 5 will be feature complete... a simple release date. Is that asking too much?
      There is no "KDE 5": Frameworks, Plasma and Applications are all separated projects under KDE umbrella, all of them following their own release schedule.

      See TSDgeos' blog post explaining how things work now.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by halo9en View Post
        Gotta love the new naming convention: Frameworks, Plasma, Applications... KDE 5, eh, I mean Plasma 5.0 final has been released on july and it's not yet usable for production.

        I just wanted to know when KDE 5 will be feature complete... a simple release date. Is that asking too much?
        Plasma 5.0 is really Plasma 5 1.0, it was major version bump but a new product inside. Ofcourse such release was not enough to be produciton ready but felt very good for ~1.0~
        And you should consider modularity too: not every app have a personal developer, you can't expect full DE to be released all at once.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by halo9en View Post
          Gotta love the new naming convention: Frameworks, Plasma, Applications... KDE 5, eh, I mean Plasma 5.0 final has been released on july and it's not yet usable for production.

          I just wanted to know when KDE 5 will be feature complete... a simple release date. Is that asking too much?
          Yes. There is no KDE 5. There is no "flag day." The transition to KDE SC 4 -> KF5 + Plasma5 + KDE Applications 5 is going to take some time, but is designed to be a smooth transition instead of the marketing disaster that was KDE 4.0. The nice thing is that due to the split, Plasma5 is now on a 3 month release cadence and isn't tied to the old KDE SC 6 months release cadence, so you should see results sooner.

          If you are asking about Plasma 5, it seems mostly feature complete (from a Plasma 4 feature point of view, obviously more work on Wayland is needed and the new Breeze window decoration). As far as being usable in "production," my feeling is things should be pretty good by the time I upgrade to openSUSE 13.3 (based on previous release cadence, would be in August 2015) and I'll probably switch then. I'll play around with it in the mean time, but the inability to co-install plasma5 and plasma4 on openSUSE keeps me from doing much there right now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by adler187 View Post
            Yes. There is no KDE 5. There is no "flag day." The transition to KDE SC 4 -> KF5 + Plasma5 + KDE Applications 5 is going to take some time, but is designed to be a smooth transition instead of the marketing disaster that was KDE 4.0. The nice thing is that due to the split, Plasma5 is now on a 3 month release cadence and isn't tied to the old KDE SC 6 months release cadence, so you should see results sooner.

            If you are asking about Plasma 5, it seems mostly feature complete (from a Plasma 4 feature point of view, obviously more work on Wayland is needed and the new Breeze window decoration). As far as being usable in "production," my feeling is things should be pretty good by the time I upgrade to openSUSE 13.3 (based on previous release cadence, would be in August 2015) and I'll probably switch then. I'll play around with it in the mean time, but the inability to co-install plasma5 and plasma4 on openSUSE keeps me from doing much there right now.
            You can install Plsama5 in /opt and they will coexist.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by magika View Post
              You can install Plsama5 in /opt and they will coexist.
              Sure, if I built it myself, but the way openSUSE builds it, it is not co-installable. I'm unsure why that is the case.

              https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:KDE_repo...5_.26_Plasma_5

              Comment


              • #8
                Rip Van Winkle

                I fell asleep under that tree! I didn't mean to...... But look at what we have here!

                20+ years ago we were all talking about KDE 5 as if it were some new thing, but here we are, now we find that we're coming up on the end of KDE FOURTEEN!!!

                (This is sarcasm, of course. I know that Michael meant KDE four point twelve, not fourteen point twelve)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
                  (This is sarcasm, of course. I know that Michael meant KDE four point twelve, not fourteen point twelve)
                  Nope, he got it right. KDE applications versioning will be year based versions from now on.

                  https://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/A...lease_Schedule

                  Also, 4.12 is quite old now

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So will these be the version after 4.14? I really don't understand KDE versioning any more.... 5s... 4s... 14s......

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X