Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GNOME Flashback session is the best.

Comment

The reasons given for the switch are not very compelling. I run XFCE on my laptop using Arch and I have no problems with it at all. Interestingly, my office debian build, also running XFCE, has many problems.

XFCE is a good default choice because it's very "failsafe", it is reliable (when set up PROPERLY *squinting at debian devs*), it is lightweight, and you can fit the packages for it on the first installer CD.

Considering debian holds back important updates for the sake of "stability", GNOME 3 is not a good option for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mendieta View Post
        ... but started moving away in my different machines, mostly because of performance issues when they introduced akonadi and nepomuk, and overall a very complicated initialization system that is slow, and when it refuses to load the desktop, is extremely hard to revert to a vanilla desktop. )
        As a Slackware user, which runs a pretty plain, un-modified KDE, I tend to ignore all the complaints about akonadi and nepomuk. Why not just uninstall things you don't like or need?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
          Considering debian holds back important updates for the sake of "stability", GNOME 3 is not a good option for them.
          Are you implying that GNOME is not stable?

Comment

Originally posted by kigurai View Post
            Are you implying that GNOME is not stable?
            No, GNOME is fine. Debian uses relatively old versions of GNOME. New releases of GNOME often involve bug fixes, which in my experience increase stability. But as long as these new releases are held back in Debian, we're not getting the complete stability.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
              Again, because you already have Ubuntu for that. Nobody else seems to use Unity, and nobody wants to.

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Yeah, but I haven't seen any other major distro adopting it; and for minor distros, very, very few. Some have it as a instalable package (on Arch Linux; not even LightDM launches properly, it fails miserably).

You know that Canonical are the Siths here, do you?.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul-L View Post
                  Yeah, but I haven't seen any other major distro adopting it; and for minor distros, very, very few. Some have it as a instalable package (on Arch Linux; not even LightDM launches properly, it fails miserably).

You know that Canonical are the Siths here, do you?.
                  I was making jokes, not political statements, but go and ruin the fun why don't you?

You people are broken. Everything is a fight, everything an argument to win. Sad really.

Comment

MATE

I have two machines with Debian Jessie.

One with Gnome 3 and the other with MATE.

MATE is good for low end machines, and as it uses gtk2 and other hardly proven libs, it would be a fine failsafe desktop too.

I like it for a default install.

Comment

I still use XFCE occasionally, but its development has been slow for a long time now the devs seem to like it that way. They'd probably argue that stability is a virtue and not be totally wrong about it.

But why Gnome again? They've gone off the rails and not just once with their "Gnome way or highway" attitude.

Cinnamon took what could be rescued from its core and started building something with actual user input while welcoming new developers too.

Cinnamon is already proving succesful on top of Debian in the LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) distro.

I wonder why they chose to go down the Gnome road instead, again... Are they thinking Gnome Debian for tablets??

Comment

Working...
                      X