No announcement yet.

NSS Updated On Ubuntu 12.04/14.04 To Allow Netflix Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So... They use the browser's UA to "detect" what version of NSS is used, and once their reference distro updates to the correct version of NSS, they'll whitelist the useragent string ? This is completely broken, there's no relationship between the UA string and the version of NSS.

Pushing for for majors distros to ship the required version of NSS is a good thing, but using UA whitelisting like this is a big WTF.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
      But...can you use Netflix with Firefox?? I can't! (Fedora 20)

You can use the pipelight project.

Comment

Originally posted by q2dg View Post
        But...can you use Netflix with Firefox?? I can't! (Fedora 20)
        I downloaded some Netflix thing from Arch's AUR which automatically installed Firefox in some sort of Wine wrapper to enable Netflix. Does that count? I didn't use it that much, but it worked when I tried it.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
          firefox does not support the needed DRM (HTML5 DRM thingy).
          Untill firefox wakes up from its sleep netflix cant do nothing about it.
          BTW i doubt firefox will support it anytime soon. it barely supports youtube video in html5, its missing so many codecs and stuff (even flash sucks on it... STILL FUCKING WAITING FOR SHUMWAY OR USE PEEPER!!!!) firefox is just... too slow...

PS: i used to love firefox thats why it makes me so angry to see it in this state.
          Here, all the useful YouTube videos work. You could use youtube-dl if they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by moltonel View Post
            So... They use the browser's UA to "detect" what version of NSS is used, and once their reference distro updates to the correct version of NSS, they'll whitelist the useragent string ? This is completely broken, there's no relationship between the UA string and the version of NSS.

Pushing for for majors distros to ship the required version of NSS is a good thing, but using UA whitelisting like this is a big WTF.
            You are confused. There is no relationship between NSS and UA string. NSS is needed for the latest support and UA string is because currently they don't consider Linux a supported platform. This is likely going to change as the HTML5 support gets more widespread but for now spoofing is needed.

Comment

Originally posted by moltonel View Post
              I am pretty sure Netflix engineers know that. The problem here was that Netflix decided it would be a a good idea to have a non-technical person, most likely from the PR department, post to the Ubuntu development list.
              And that person, due to lack of understanding any of the involved technology, made it sound like the user agent check was related to the NSS update.

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Do you need Chrome for this or is Chromium enough?

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                  Chrome relies on proprietary DRM to do this. Chromium doesn't have that. Firefox has plans to download Adobe software on demand (after user's permission) to accomplish this.

Today at Mozilla we find ourselves at a difficult spot. We face a choice between a feature our users want and the degree to which that feature can be built

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
                    It should work with Chromium, like Chromium works with the libpepperflash-Plugin and also works with the pdf-plugin.

You will need Chromium v37 minimum. And the same version of Google Chrome. (Download the deb, make a directory, dpkg -x google-chrome.deb <directory> -- this will extract it)

In *this* directory find opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdmadapter.so and opt/google/chrome/libwidevinecdm.so

copy these two in the Chromium folder (in /usr/..., not your home folder)

Start Chromium. In Chromium enter "aboutlugins" (or "chrome://plugins") There should be something like "Widevine Content Decryption Module". it should be activated.

Let's summarize. You need: 1.) Chromium at least v37. 2.) The two libwidevine*.so files from the extracted Google Chrome deb.-package 3.) At least libnss3* (v3.16.2) on your system installed (or in the google chrome, or chromium folder). But 3.) is solved automatically with Ubuntu's update. Debian jessie testing also have this recent version (v3.17)

And 4.) The "User Agent Switcher for Chrome" hack. I guess only for a few days.

I haven't tried it yet but I wish you good luck trying it with Chromium.
                    Last edited by kringel; 22 September 2014, 01:53 PM.

Comment

For Firefox (I prefer Firefox) you'll have to wait probably 1-2 versions until Mozilla fixes the remaining issues with Media Source Extensions (MSE, test it e.g. at the youtube.com/html5 page). And they also need a Plugin, called EME ("Encrypted Media Extensions"), which will be provided by Adobe. https://hacks.mozilla.org/2014/05/re...n-and-w3c-eme/

Comment

Working...
                      X