GNOME 3.14 Beta 2 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Driftmeyer View Post
    Three horizontal bars is a hamburger to you? Interesting. You'd expect a curved top bar, in my world, to recognize it as a hamburger.

P.S. Memory consumption is pathetic. GNome-Shell is like OS X Finder, but a bleeding like a sieve and weak version, with a fraction of the functionality, and the search feature of all Linux or Windows sucks ass next to Spotlight.
    I've had it referred to it as a hamburger icon. Did I myself coin this term? No.

P.S. Memory consumption is so bad in Gnome Shell right now I am surprised it's not the #1 FIX IT NOW PLEASE issue, I assume Gnome Shell users have just have gotten accustomed to alt+r... Does anyone use Gnome Shell with Catalyst or open source AMD drivers out there see this issue? I've read it's an Intel/Nvidia issue supposedly, then again I've seen Nvidia throw blame right back at GNOME developers too on this matter.

Comment

Please tell me how File>Save As is any more discoverable than the gear. In any case, why are all you 'power-users' NOT using shortcuts?

Gnome is indeed breaking away from traditional UI - that's a good thing. Menubar-based navigation is horrible design, it's undiscoverable and easy to get gunked up (try remembering where everything is on the gimp).

One of the things I really liked about Unity is the inclusion of the HUD - you can just type your actions in. Yes, there are discoverability issues with that design but it's perfect for those that don't want to use the mouse to navigate some archaic menu system that has no meaning. It's too bad it hasn't received any attention and suffers from very bad memory leaks when too many items are parsed (firefox bookmarks, for example).

I think the Gnome devs are doing a great job with design and I'd be hard-pressed to see any of the other environments try to push the envelope; instead, everyone seems content at mouse-driven windows-like experiences. Nothing wrong with that, but all these different environments are pretty much variations on the same theme.
      Last edited by drspinderwalf; 04 September 2014, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by drspinderwalf View Post
        Please tell me how File>Save As is any more discoverable than the gear. In any case, why are all you 'power-users' NOT using shortcuts?

Gnome is indeed breaking away from traditional UI - that's a good thing. Menubar-based navigation is horrible design, it's undiscoverable and easy to get gunked up (try remembering where everything is on the gimp).
        Gear represents settings, while "save as" is logically a "file" action. Not that three bars is much better mind you, I associate that as text alignment to both edges.

On the second part, what are you on? Menus are the definition of discoverable, you can see every possible option and how they relate to each other. In contrast there is no discoverability in a keyboard-driven menu system, you can't have a list of everything, but need to guess what something is called in this program.

Comment

Great progress

They are doing great progress... in dumbing down the interface even more. In the end, there will just be a BIG FLASHY BUTTON(TM) which says "PUSH ME". It's pretty obvious to me that GNOME is run by a bunch of anti-Linux M$ employees. They want to destroy Linux and the best way to do it is from the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
            ... In exchange we will make window titlebars as big as half of your screen height.
            FAIL: http://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/...ce-2009-or-so/

I don't know what all this shell memory leak talk is about, doesn't occur with me running Gnome 3.12 on openSUSE 13.1 on nVidia or Intel GPUs. And I still have no idea why people cling onto Gnome 2 so much, I have to use it everyday for work and it's horrible - Win7 is much nicer to use and I'm really no MS fan.

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
              FAIL: http://blogs.gnome.org/aday/2014/08/...ce-2009-or-so/

I don't know what all this shell memory leak talk is about, doesn't occur with me running Gnome 3.12 on openSUSE 13.1 on nVidia or Intel GPUs. And I still have no idea why people cling onto Gnome 2 so much, I have to use it everyday for work and it's horrible - Win7 is much nicer to use and I'm really no MS fan.
              nVidia proprietary driver or Nouveau? Lots of people get the memory creep, heck.. open system monitor and change your background, does the gnome-shell process not jump a few hundred megabytes?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelSerious View Post
                nVidia proprietary driver or Nouveau? Lots of people get the memory creep, heck.. open system monitor and change your background, does the gnome-shell process not jump a few hundred megabytes?
                I use nVidia's proprietary at home. I've just done a quick test using the Chromium driver for a VM at work and that also has minimal memory increase (it does increase a bit due to the rendering of the thumbnails etcetera, but that all gets released once the dialog is closed). To be more specific, I'm using Gnome 3.12.2 - it's a recent stable release so maybe they've fixed the issue?

Comment

Originally posted by cbamber85 View Post
                  I use nVidia's proprietary at home. I've just done a quick test using the Chromium driver for a VM at work and that also has minimal memory increase (it does increase a bit due to the rendering of the thumbnails etcetera, but that all gets released once the dialog is closed). To be more specific, I'm using Gnome 3.12.2 - it's a recent stable release so maybe they've fixed the issue?
                  I'm running Arch so my Gnome Shell is up to date (ver. 3.12.2-1), I have no idea why you do not get the memory consumption issue and I do. My gnome-shell process typically takes up 600mb+ after a day, changing a background is always a 150mb+ jump this memory is never released for me, if I do not restart it after a few days it can reach 2gb (which is when performance issues tend to kick in). My machine has 16gb of memory, I've noticed that gnome-shell is less hungry for memory on systems with less ram, at least that was the case when my laptop ran Gnome 3 with Intel HD graphics.

I know SpiderMonkey is a beast with memory, it's not really a memory leak, seems more like an issue about garbage collection. Every interaction with Gnome Shell causes it to hold and retain more memory.

Maybe things will be better in 3.14, I do not remember these memory regressions in 3.4.. seems to have started with 3.6+ and became really bad in 3.8/3.10 and now continues in 3.12. Anyways, the bug is real for many people here is one of the many bug reports on it: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=685513

Comment

Shell memory usage

Originally posted by MichaelSerious View Post
                    I'm running Arch so my Gnome Shell is up to date (ver. 3.12.2-1), I have no idea why you do not get the memory consumption issue and I do. My gnome-shell process typically takes up 600mb+ after a day, changing a background is always a 150mb+ jump this memory is never released for me, if I do not restart it after a few days it can reach 2gb (which is when performance issues tend to kick in). My machine has 16gb of memory, I've noticed that gnome-shell is less hungry for memory on systems with less ram, at least that was the case when my laptop ran Gnome 3 with Intel HD graphics.

I know SpiderMonkey is a beast with memory, it's not really a memory leak, seems more like an issue about garbage collection. Every interaction with Gnome Shell causes it to hold and retain more memory.

Maybe things will be better in 3.14, I do not remember these memory regressions in 3.4.. seems to have started with 3.6+ and became really bad in 3.8/3.10 and now continues in 3.12. Anyways, the bug is real for many people here is one of the many bug reports on it: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=685513
                    I run Debian Jessie/Sid and shell 3.12.2 As a test I just changed the wallpaper six times and checked the memory consumption. It did not change at all until the last one when it dropped 100mb. My starting desktop idle is around 600mb and there it stays. I have 8Gb of ram on a Haswell i5 and HD4600 graphics. And as far as I can tell I have never used my swap file. Google Chrome can gobble up ram over time but eventually the system drops back.

I am not suggesting your problems are imaginary, but clearly it is not universal. Why is it different between distros and hardware? I cannot answer that.

To all you Gnome 2 dinosaurs Shell 3.12 has a Gnome Classic mode. A modern take on the old interface (and way better than the old fallback mode). Add the Top Icons extension and you are back in 2008. Yes it is still Gnome 3 and yes it uses more resources, but if you pine for the past and have a reasonably specced machine the go for it.

Comment

To contradict myself ...

Originally posted by grege View Post
                      I run Debian Jessie/Sid and shell 3.12.2 As a test I just changed the wallpaper six times and checked the memory consumption. It did not change at all until the last one when it dropped 100mb. My starting desktop idle is around 600mb and there it stays. I have 8Gb of ram on a Haswell i5 and HD4600 graphics. And as far as I can tell I have never used my swap file. Google Chrome can gobble up ram over time but eventually the system drops back.

I am not suggesting your problems are imaginary, but clearly it is not universal. Why is it different between distros and hardware? I cannot answer that.

To all you Gnome 2 dinosaurs Shell 3.12 has a Gnome Classic mode. A modern take on the old interface (and way better than the old fallback mode). Add the Top Icons extension and you are back in 2008. Yes it is still Gnome 3 and yes it uses more resources, but if you pine for the past and have a reasonably specced machine the go for it.
                      I tried again from a newly booted desktop and hammered the wallpaper change. The first few did nothing more than a few mbs but eventually, after eight or ten changes I got it to increase by 250mb and it stayed there. Not a big deal when I have 8Gb of ram, but it does happen. I use Gnome Shell all day every day and I have never had an issue with memory usage. A few hundred megs is nothing when you have 8Gbs.

Comment

Working...
                      X