KDE's Konqueror Is In Need Of A New Maintainer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
    This should be ditched. Along with Epiphany. Developer should be focusing on things actually going to be useful for end user. Just because it was in KDE4 or previous, no need for it in KDE5 era. Planned and new eco system should be made for KDE5
    Well Epiphany is just a minimal web browser and that it's really basic, along its web application mode is what make it interesting for some duty, mostly in professional environment or public facing terminal.

Comment

Someone should make a desktop Gecko based browser with Qt using IPCembedlite: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Embedding/IPCLiteAPI Or simply revive Qt variant of Firefox. I'd prefer that to WebKit.

Comment

EOL it

I really like and currently use KDE without ever having fired up Konqueror for the longest while. I stick to Firefox and Chrome/Chromium mostly. Perhaps what Konqueror needs is retirement rather than a new owner.

Comment

Well, I use Konqueror with Webkit everyday, only shifting to FF when some site has issues.
          I like Konqueror integration much better than FF : I can easily upload, download and rename on FTP sites or through SSH, I can download directly to chosen places only by right-clicking on a file, it uses system-wide mime definition to choose a program to open a file instead of asking me to select the binary in /usr/bin, etc. Besides, I try to stay away from Google as much as possible, so no Chrome for me.
          I would probably use rekonq if it was part of the standard KDE apps but if konqueror is updated to use a more recent web engine, I will gladly use it.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
            And what if you don't like webkit (including blink) based browsers either?

It probably depends on the reasons you don't like it.
            I dislike the browser itself not underlying engine.
            Also I'm against telling other people to ditch things they do in their free time.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
              Someone should make a desktop Gecko based browser with Qt using IPCembedlite: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Embedding/IPCLiteAPI Or simply revive Qt variant of Firefox. I'd prefer that to WebKit.
              There actually used to be quite a few of those, but then they all transitioned over to webkit or died, I wonder why?...

Comment

Originally posted by iniudan View Post
                Well Epiphany is just a minimal web browser and that it's really basic, along its web application mode is what make it interesting for some duty, mostly in professional environment or public facing terminal.
                For personal use, Midori > Epiphany.

Anyway, I hope rekonq transitions to Qt5 and Webkit2, and konqueror can do whatever it wants.

Comment

Originally posted by magika View Post
                  I dislike the browser itself not underlying engine.
                  Also I'm against telling other people to ditch things they do in their free time.
                  Super!
                  I feel I've the right to say what I think, as long as it's not rude.
                  I'm not sure what you mean when you say you dislike the browser, but not the engine, especially considering the context of your original response. FF's ui isn't too different from the Chrome or IE. Moreover, I spoke of completing xul's qt backend for FF.

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                    Did you see the file date of the bug? It was six years ago. It needs a maintainer. It shouldn't be that hard as gtk3 is coming along nicely without any full time maintainers.
                    Yet people keep trying it then giving up. There has been at least two or three failed attempts at various points. I am sure there is a reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Yet people keep trying it then giving up. There has been at least two or three failed attempts at various points. I am sure there is a reason for that.
                      I honestly think it's more of a moving target issue, especially with the ongoing work to port FF to GTK+3. I mean, it's been only 6(?) months since that linked git repo had a change and it was already 30.5k commits behind master. No doubt at least a small percentage of those were changes to graphics code.

I've said it before: If you're going to make a Qt Firefox, don't just make it for the Linux version, rip out all of the graphics code and write it to use Qt on all platforms. I feel like the work required to maintain that would be significantly less (and you could end up writing much better code in the long run).

Comment

Working...
                      X