Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's Konqueror Is In Need Of A New Maintainer

Phoronix: KDE's Konqueror Is In Need Of A New Maintainer

KDE's Konqueror web-browser is in need of a new maintainer and for some love to port it to Qt5 and KDE Frameworks 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

is this where we finally admit that konquerer has been on life support for the whole of the KDE4 era, and that the lack of a maintainer for the KDE5 era finally means that we move on with our (rekonq/dolphin) lives?

Comment

Originally posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
      is this where we finally admit that konquerer has been on life support for the whole of the KDE4 era, and that the lack of a maintainer for the KDE5 era finally means that we move on with our (rekonq/dolphin) lives?
      Agreed. And konqueror being a dependency of so many distros has been annoying to me. The only reason it ever held my interest is because it wasn't yet-another-firefox-variant but it also acted as a file browser. It acted a lot like Internet Explorer but did a much better job at being a multi-use program. If KDE expects to progress, there are things it has to move on from. The one reason why I dislike KDE over GNOME is because KDE's developers don't appear to have a planned schedule - they seem to just do things as they go along but they don't appear to have a consistent plan. This isn't always a bad thing, because that's why KDE, IMO, has the best features. But it results in it being messy, disorganized, and left with a lot of applications that are half-complete or unmaintained. There are a lot of things in KDE I think need to be put to rest, and I think KF5 is a good place to transition away from these things. If we are to let go of konqueoror, now is the best time.

I guess you could say Konqueror has been.... konquered

Comment

This should be ditched. Along with Epiphany. Developer should be focusing on things actually going to be useful for end user. Just because it was in KDE4 or previous, no need for it in KDE5 era. Planned and new eco system should be made for KDE5

Comment

Konqueror should have been retired from KDE a long time ago. The KHTML rendering engine is just not up to par with today's needs (or maybe it's the other way round, that the websites of today don't need KHTML).

Anecdotal evidence once again, but Konqueror always had issues with rendering many pages I visit, such as the Yahoo home page or GMail. Back when I was still studying it wasn't even capable of displaying my university's student resource portal correctly. And to top it off, Konqueror always had issues establishing connections to webpages; it would load a page halfway and suddenly error out for no reason while Firefox and Chrome would load it without issues.

Frameworks 5 would be a good opportunity to finally retire Konqueror; if KDE wants a native Qt web browser, it already has Rekonq.

Comment

In one lab at our Uni we used Epiphany because the manager did not install Firefox.
            If such projects were not installed as default, we would probably get a proper browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Konqueror should have been retired from KDE a long time ago. The KHTML rendering engine is just not up to par with today's needs (or maybe it's the other way round, that the websites of today don't need KHTML).
              Welll, just to put this into perspective: Konqueror has also had a WebKit based render engine for many year now.
              As far as I know QtWebKit with necessary KDE integration bits, same as Rekonq.

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
              Frameworks 5 would be a good opportunity to finally retire Konqueror
              I wouldn't be surprised if Konqueror isn't one of the applications that are already ported.

A better opportunity might be the new QtWebEngine and the potential need to add support for that

Cheers,
              _

Comment

Gnome's Web runs as good as Firefox do nowadays. It is very well integrated into Gnome with its design principles, has very clean UI and is my main web browser. The only thing that annoys me is there isn't a proper download manager of it and some minor regressions (the most recent was a bug at webkitgtk related to gcc 4.9.0 which is soon fixed by Fedora developers).

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger_Coder View Post
                  This should be ditched. Along with Epiphany. Developer should be focusing on things actually going to be useful for end user. Just because it was in KDE4 or previous, no need for it in KDE5 era. Planned and new eco system should be made for KDE5
                  Epiphany is being well-maintained and evolving with WebKit2.

Konqueror has spent the past 5 years denying WebKit and being garbage.

Comparing these two is truly pathetic. Epiphany has corporate sponsorship and development. The WebKit 2 development port for GTK+ is current and GNOME is using its WebKit backend throughout GNOME 3.12+.

Comment

Why would anyone want to kill Konqueror is beyond me... I like it much more than Dolphin, and Konqueror has LOTS of features.
                    Please, don't kill it! Konqueror is valuable even from a historical point of view (KHTML...)

Comment

Working...
                    X