X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by RealNC View Post
    I don't want full hinting. Fonts look bad with it. Qt 5 is broken. Freetype renders slight hinted fonts just fine, and therefore Qt 5 should also render them fine.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by carewolf View Post
    Or something wrong with your configuration or version of freetype. Slight hinting works as it should, yes it is more blurry, that is the point
    What?! Are you blind? It's not more blurry. The color is washed out, more transparent.

The bug has NOTHING to do with being blurry.

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Word wrapping has been broken since 4.6, and I bet it's still broken in 5.3. It was even bisected to the exact commit causing it, and no fix. Qt responsiveness, ladies and gentlemen.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    I don't want full hinting. Fonts look bad with it. Qt 5 is broken. Freetype renders slight hinted fonts just fine, and therefore Qt 5 should also render them fine. Since it doesn't, there's somethings wrong with how it uses Freetype.

Every other app on my system works correctly. Qt 4, Gtk, Chrome, everyhing. Except Qt 5 and Java. Those two produce an abomination of a font rendering.

And this doesn't even excuse the PCF rendering problem, which was reported since day one when Qt 5.0.0 came out. Wanna bet how quickly they would have fixed those problems if they affected the Windows version? We all hated Nokia, but boy, Digia doesn't lift a finger when it comes to Linux.
    Or something wrong with your configuration or version of freetype. Slight hinting works as it should, yes it is more blurry, that is the point, if you don't want that use real hinting. And as a I said things get fixed faster for Linux than for Windows because most developers at Digia uses Linux personally.

Leave a comment:

• TheBlackCat
    replied
    We all hated Nokia, but boy, Digia doesn't lift a finger when it comes to Linux.
    That must be why they waited so long to support Wayland in Qt 5. Oh wait...

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    Yes, and that's what you were told in the bug report: slight hinting only will hint vertical which is not intended for GUI. Just enable full hinting will most likely fix your issue.
    I don't want full hinting. Fonts look bad with it. Qt 5 is broken. Freetype renders slight hinted fonts just fine, and therefore Qt 5 should also render them fine. Since it doesn't, there's somethings wrong with how it uses Freetype.

Every other app on my system works correctly. Qt 4, Gtk, Chrome, everyhing. Except Qt 5 and Java. Those two produce an abomination of a font rendering.

And this doesn't even excuse the PCF rendering problem, which was reported since day one when Qt 5.0.0 came out. Wanna bet how quickly they would have fixed those problems if they affected the Windows version? We all hated Nokia, but boy, Digia doesn't lift a finger when it comes to Linux.
    Last edited by RealNC; 10 August 2014, 10:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• carewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by schmalzler View Post
    Yes, and that's what you were told in the bug report: slight hinting only will hint vertical which is not intended for GUI. Just enable full hinting will most likely fix your issue.
    Slight an no-hinting should work. It is Mac style hinting and a lot of people use it, it is also used when rendering to scalable canvases such as OpenGL. Then again I am using that, and have not seen any issue before, so saying it is completely broken for truetype and opentype is nonsense. Though ofcourse it is more blurry, that is the whole point, with weaker hinting fonts are more design precise and less pixel precise.
    Last edited by carewolf; 10 August 2014, 05:32 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jedibeeftrix
    replied
    QT3D?

Leave a comment:

• schmalzler
    replied
    To get TT/OT breakage, I suspect that you need to be using slight hinting instead of full hinting.

Leave a comment:

• RealNC
    replied
    All fonts are broken. Both TrueType and OpenType:

as well as PCF:

To get TT/OT breakage, I suspect that you need to be using slight hinting instead of full hinting.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X