No announcement yet.

It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wasn't able to get it to work with the suggested UserAgent (I just got a different-than-usual-looking page suggesting me to install Silverlight), but I used the following and it worked:
    Code:
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36
    On 38.0.2114.2 dev (64-bit), and it doesn't depend on any proprietary drivers since I'm using nouveau.

Comment

Moonlight

Originally posted by uh20 View Post
      i tried with both stable and beta nvidia (760) drivers, running in kubuntu and chrome beta, this is going to be a hard error to isolate.

edit: moonlight *might* be messing with things, maybe base the error on moonlight installed/not installed
      Moonlight's a good suspect. I'd remove it in either event, since it's a dead project and was never of much use anyway due to the lack of DRM support. Using pipelight in Firefox will likely give you better results if you use a site that requires (the also dead) Silverlight.

Let us know if that gives you any relief!

Btw, just as additional info - I use the kubuntu-desktop package on Ubuntu, since KDE's my preferred desktop, so I'm not too different from Kubuntu. I'm running the latest nvidia-343 drivers, though some people have gotten it to work with nouveau so that's not likely a factor.

Comment

User Agent

Originally posted by Anssi View Post
        I wasn't able to get it to work with the suggested UserAgent (I just got a different-than-usual-looking page suggesting me to install Silverlight), but I used the following and it worked...
        Ohhh... I see the problem some people might be having:

When you put in the User Agent, don't include the open and closing parenthesis Michael put between the quotes. The string should be

Code:
        Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36
        and nothing else. If you put:

Code:
        (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36)
        then your browser string won't be parsed correctly and it will try to use Silverlight or Moonlight if you have it installed.
        Last edited by 3vi1; 10 August 2014, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
          People should boycott Netflix for their hypocritical push of DRM into the HTML standard. Netflix always blamed that on the publishers and pretended it wasn't their fault. They have now a number of their own shows which they distribute. Where are they available DRM-free? Nowhere. So Netflix bears the blame for this push. By using it you proliferate this DRM garbage even more.
          Since the vast vast majority of their shows are only available with DRM due to the restrictions imposed by the copyright holders (unless you have evidence that the copyright holders say otherwise, you can't accuse them of "pretending"), it makes no sense for NetFlix to spend extra time making/supporting a player with dual DRM/Non-DRM mode - they have plenty of other bugs to be working out. It's not reasonable to think they could sell monthly subscriptions for only a couple of shows at this point anyway.

I dislike DRM as much, if not more, than the next guy, and would love to see it all gone. But you are mistaken if you think a boycott by a few (or even a few hundred thousand) Stallman fans,is going to even make NetFlix's radar... or end up doing us any good. The best thing for Linux and Libreness-in-general _at this point_ is if the product works such that our platform is on an even playing ground with the proprietary OS's.

Comment

I use silverlight/pipelight to watch Netflix in Mint 17 (cinnamon) on my laptop.

It's a Mullins based AMD APU and I'm using the 14.6 beta AMD catalyst drivers

I tried to make this alternative method work using chrome dev and had the same M7063-1913 error lots of other people are getting.

So here's hoping someone way smarter than me can figure it out and make it work for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
              It works fine on Ubuntu, I had no issue getting it to work here. You're going to end up making Arch users look bad if your don't curb your fanboism.
              The libnss3 libnss3-1d is fucked up in Ubuntu as they pull shit from Debian Unstable and don't fix outdated or fucked up packages this shit happens all the time in Ubuntu if you update to utopic's libnss3 libnss3-1d it will work heres the links and it's not fanboism and i don't use Arch it's just a good Linux for experienced users Debian>Ubuntu

Comment

Netflix with Ubuntu 14.04

Baixe o chrome unstable

Instale o Chrome

Modifique a vers?o no Sources.list
                sed -i 's/trusty/utopic/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Atualize
                apt-get update

Instala??o das Bibliotecas necess?rias para o Chrome Unstable
                apt-get install libnss3 libnss3-1d

Volte para trusty no sources.list
                sed -i 's/utopic/trusty/g' /etc/apt/sources.list

Adicione esta extens?o

No User-Agent Switcher for Chrome --> Op??es

Adicione na seguinte ordem:
                Netflix --> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2049.0 Safari/537.36 --> Replace --> Net --> ADD

V? em Permanent Spoof List
                Domain: www.netflix.com.br --> User-Agent String: Netflix --> Add

Adicione tamb?m o www.netflix.com

Removendo o Pipelight
                apt-get remove --purge pipelight pipelight-multi

Se o User Agent n?o mudar automaticamente
                Fa?a o seguinte User-Agent Switcher --> Netflix --> Netflix

Comment

Originally posted by Attent?ter View Post
                  The libnss3 libnss3-1d is fucked up in Ubuntu as they pull shit from Debian Unstable and don't fix outdated or fucked up packages this shit happens all the time in Ubuntu if you update to utopic's libnss3 libnss3-1d it will work heres the links and it's not fanboism and i don't use Arch it's just a good Linux for experienced users Debian>Ubuntu

http://packages.ubuntu.com/utopic/libnss3-1d
                  As mentioned here, the problem that earlier Ubuntu (+derivatives) are having has been solved via Malte Batram on G+:
                  After digging around the javascript and seeing an error like this 'NSS version must be at least 3.16.2'. I simply installed libnss3 (version 3.16.3) and libnss3-1d from 14.10 in 14.04 and now it works for me in 14.04.
                  You can download the packages from utopic (which are working) here:

and install them with the standard dpkg -i (or gdebi, or whatever else)

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                    As mentioned here, the problem that earlier Ubuntu (+derivatives) are having has been solved via Malte Batram on G+:

You can download the packages from utopic (which are working) here:

and install them with the standard dpkg -i (or gdebi, or whatever else)

yep. this works on ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchy View Post
                      yep. this works on ubuntu.
                      How did you get them to install without all the crazy dependency problems?

You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
                      The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                      libnss3 : Breaks: libnss3:i386 (!= 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1) but 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7 is installed
                      libnss3:i386 : Breaks: libnss3 (!= 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7) but 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1 is installed
                      libnss3-nssdb : Depends: libnss3 (= 2:3.15.4-1ubuntu7) but 2:3.16.3-1ubuntu1 is installed
                      E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

Comment

Working...
                      X