No announcement yet.

It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in it for Netflix to blocking Linux in browser DRM?

Originally posted by hondaman View Post
    Netflix I guess blocked the old user agent. Use this one and it will work again.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3, Win64, x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/38.0.2114.2 Safari/537.36
    Unless both Microsoft Windows and OSx have code to block screen recording and audio recording of browser video, what is in it for Netflix to play petty games of useragent blocking? No amount of browser or Silverlight DRM can stop a screen grab unless the underlying OS is designed to detect the DRM usage and disable screen recording-and to prevent that from being hacked quickly leads back to the "trusted computing" model of machines trusted by Hollywood with users considered black hat hackers.

All this does in the absence of such OS level control is encourage people to throw in the towel and fire up Transmission to fetch a torrent. Some things are just plain dumb: Radio Shack once got caught by Consumer Reports refusing a sale to a cash customer who refused to share a phone number and address. This stopped after CU published the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Luke View Post
      Unless both Microsoft Windows and OSx have code to block screen recording and audio recording of browser video, what is in it for Netflix to play petty games of useragent blocking? No amount of browser or Silverlight DRM can stop a screen grab unless the underlying OS is designed to detect the DRM usage and disable screen recording-and to prevent that from being hacked quickly leads back to the "trusted computing" model of machines trusted by Hollywood with users considered black hat hackers.

All this does in the absence of such OS level control is encourage people to throw in the towel and fire up Transmission to fetch a torrent. Some things are just plain dumb: Radio Shack once got caught by Consumer Reports refusing a sale to a cash customer who refused to share a phone number and address. This stopped after CU published the story.
      Seems to be working again for me... so not sure what is going on.

Comment

It had stopped working for me as well however changing to the new user agent string suggested seems to have fixed this.

Comment

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Netflix senior software engineer Paul Adolph wrote on the Ubuntu forums last night that devices running the latest version of the NSS security libraries will be able to run Netflix in Chrome without changing their browser's user-agent. The change occurs as Netflix moves away from Silverlight in favor of HTML5. This means that, going forward, users no matter what the distro will likely just need to update Chrome and their security plugins to take advantage of the change. But will the charge for Linux to win the desktop begin anew?

Comment

ivanmmj

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

Netflix senior software engineer Paul Adolph wrote on the Ubuntu forums last night that devices running the latest version of the NSS security libraries will be able to run Netflix in Chrome without changing their browser's user-agent. The change occurs as Netflix moves away from Silverlight in favor of HTML5. This means that, going forward, users no matter what the distro will likely just need to update Chrome and their security plugins to take advantage of the change. But will the charge for Linux to win the desktop begin anew?
            I wonder what the timeline they have in mind for this. As for now when I turn off my user agent switcher Linux isn't yet listed in the system compatibility list that pops up stopping me from watching a show. using chrome version 38.0.2125.66 beta (64-bit) and NSS 3.17-3. It works fine when using the user agent switcher which is certainly good enough I'm just curious for more information.

Comment

Working...
            X