Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's Now Possible To Play Netflix Natively On Linux Without Wine Plug-Ins

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
    I get the same error and I'm using Google Chrome version 38.0.2114.2 64-bit. I first tried the original instructions, then I tried altering the user agent to match the version number, but whatever I've tried, I get the same error.
    That's odd, because I'm also using 38.0.2114.2 dev (64-bit), and it's working on my system (Ubuntu Utopic Alpha - up to date as of today).

    I recall that at one time, when I was experimenting with trying to make this work (after they first started beta-testing the HTML5 streams), I went into my NetFlix preferences somewhere and told it to prefer HTML5 streams. You may want to poke around in those settings.

    Comment


    • #22
      Originally posted by 3vi1 View Post
      That's odd, because I'm also using 38.0.2114.2 dev (64-bit), and it's working on my system (Ubuntu Utopic Alpha - up to date as of today).

      I recall that at one time, when I was experimenting with trying to make this work (after they first started beta-testing the HTML5 streams), I went into my NetFlix preferences somewhere and told it to prefer HTML5 streams. You may want to poke around in those settings.
      If HTML5 isn't enabled I guess it would suggest installing Silverlight and not give an error message.

      Comment


      • #23
        3vi1, can you post the output of running ldd on your chrome binary for comparison? Here is the output for 14.04.1 64bit (which results in the M7063-1913 error):

        http://pastebin.com/V8Yu5cUb

        Comment


        • #24
          Works on some Linux distro's

          I was unsuccessful at getting it to work on Kubuntu, but had success on openSuse. Something not obvious is going on behind the scenes because the version of Google Chrome used is the same, and the user-agent switch was also the same. I took a screenshot since I was running openSuse in Virtualbox on my Kubuntu laptop.
          [IMG][/IMG]

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by MrRtd View Post
            I was unsuccessful at getting it to work on Kubuntu, but had success on openSuse. Something not obvious is going on behind the scenes because the version of Google Chrome used is the same, and the user-agent switch was also the same. I took a screenshot since I was running openSuse in Virtualbox on my Kubuntu laptop.
            [IMG][/IMG]
            It's incredibly likely it's success is dependent on the stability of it's graphics drivers. For example, it should work on Intel or NVIDIA's proprietary driver, but it's unlikely it would work on Nouveau or any AMD (ATI) graphics cards.

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by jimbohale View Post
              It's incredibly likely it's success is dependent on the stability of it's graphics drivers. For example, it should work on Intel or NVIDIA's proprietary driver, but it's unlikely it would work on Nouveau or any AMD (ATI) graphics cards.
              i tried with both stable and beta nvidia (760) drivers, running in kubuntu and chrome beta, this is going to be a hard error to isolate.

              edit: moonlight *might* be messing with things, maybe base the error on moonlight installed/not installed
              Last edited by uh20; 09 August 2014, 11:55 PM.

              Comment


              • #27
                (Nathan V here)
                It seems like the only distro(s) that have an issue with it (as in "is giving error codes") are the u/*buntu stuff prior to the 14.10 alpha (which seems to work mostly for anybody using it). The only issues I've seen on other distros is Chrome crashing, which could be a number of things not related to Netflix or the DRM itself.

                So if we can figure out what exactly is needed in u/*buntu 14.04 and 13.10, then that'd be great
                Unfortunately, I'm very... smart when it comes to debugging and stuff of that sort. Sorry guys :/

                Comment


                • #28
                  works like a charm on my laptop running the radeon driver and 64bit arch linux.

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    But I wonder that now the secret is out, that Google and/or Netflix won't do everything in their power to somehow prevent it from working under Linux by some means....

                    Pardon me, my paranoia is showing....

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      People should boycott Netflix for their hypocritical push of DRM into the HTML standard. Netflix always blamed that on the publishers and pretended it wasn't their fault. They have now a number of their own shows which they distribute. Where are they available DRM-free? Nowhere. So Netflix bears the blame for this push. By using it you proliferate this DRM garbage even more.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X