Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
    KDE 5's HiDPI is actually not too bad if properly configured. There are only a few applications that don't play nice (Chrome/Intellij) that I have noticed).
    Nor Chrome, nor IntelliJ are Qt-based...

On an unrelated note, QQuickRenderControl goes public probably because of KDE, for the new decoration system...

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
      I also look forward to this release since it will greatly improve the rekonq browser
      Why care about Rekonq?

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        Why care about Rekonq?
        Why not? It's a really nice web browser -- certainly better than GNOME's epiphany and not as complicated as Konqeuror.

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
          Why not? It's a really nice web browser -- certainly better than GNOME's epiphany and not as complicated as Konqeuror.
          I mean when it comes (real) web browsing all of them are shit compared to Firefox and Chrome/ium, so not worth caring about, no?

Comment

I mean when it comes (real) web browsing all of them are shit compared to Firefox and Chrome/ium, so not worth caring about, no?

You mean compared to uzbl and surf right ?

Comment

I made the switches firefox --> chromium --> rekonq (and at rare occasions the CLI browser links)

I have aimed to try to switch from rekonq + dolphin to Konqueror, but even in webkit mode it does not really work that well compared to rekonq (and has a "fatter" interface which I dislike). I hope the KF5 incarnation of konqeror also will switch its web engine to the chromium Blink (former Webkit, former KHTML) which might make it a viable option.

I like the idea behind Konqueror, which ties together lots of different KDE programs in a very nice way (file browsing, web browsing, PDF reading, Image viewer ... possibly also Calligra document reading).

I have noticed that I lately gravitate towards as many native KDE apps as possible, which is sort of the opposite of my recent attempt to go as minimalistic and suckless as possible

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
                I have noticed that I lately gravitate towards as many native KDE apps as possible, which is sort of the opposite of my recent attempt to go as minimalistic and suckless as possible
                Well, native KDE apps on a KDE desktop is about as minimalistic as it can reasonably get. Btw Calligra (v2.8) has a lot faster startup than LibreOffice and supports odf well too, I might switch to Calligra by default some day. But web browsing is a different beast.

Comment

Well, native KDE apps on a KDE desktop is about as minimalistic as it can reasonably get. Btw Calligra (v2.8) has a lot faster startup than LibreOffice and supports odf well too, I might switch to Calligra by default some day. But web browsing is a different beast.
                  I would love to switch to Calligra too (got it installed, but am forced to run LibreOffice and MS office under Wine for now - collaborative writing at work makes it hard to use anything else unfortunately : hopefully the UK move to odf standard will trickle up/down (depending on perspective) to the rest of the EU...).

One big wish-item for Calligra would be Zotero integration though...

I have no issues what so ever with Rekonq for web-browsing (including starting some work-apps with Citrix and other "odd" use cases).

Comment

Like some others here, I prefer a KDE native browser, too. I had to give up on Rekonq because it would crash a few too many times. And the crazy bug where the address bar can't keep up with typing appears to have resurfaced in the current version. Konqueror (with the WebKit kpart) is working well enough now, and I keep Firefox around for the really goofy sites.

Comment

Working...
                    X