MPV 0.4.1 Brings Various Bug Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by magika View Post
    You seem to be confusing necesseties with unnecessary stuff.
    What people need from video player is to display video frame (in window or fullscreen) and audio as intended.
    Then just use mplayer2; by your own standard there's no "need" at all for mpv.

Maybe some people like floating through Open File dialogs, or to push Play/Stop buttons, or maybe even reading About screens. To each their own I guess.
    I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
      Then just use mplayer2; by your own standard there's no "need" at all for mpv.
      I was. But when all visible development halted I discovered mpv, which at that moment was same as mplayer2 but with more lively development.

Comment

I was. But when all visible development halted I discovered mpv, which at that moment was same as mplayer2 but with more lively development.
        But is "lively development" really necessary?

Comment

But is "lively development" really necessary?
          Quite so. Separate VDPAU decoder and output, opengl-hq, wayland output and fixes for some problems with formats I had with mplayer2. They've been saying that fork was made because its easier for community to bring new features/fixes/cleanup to the codebase that way, compared to mplayer2. Ironically, mplayer2 was born because of same reasons.

Comment

Quite so. Separate VDPAU decoder and output, opengl-hq, wayland output and fixes for some problems with formats I had with mplayer2. They've been saying that fork was made because its easier for community to bring new features/fixes/cleanup to the codebase that way, compared to mplayer2. Ironically, mplayer2 was born because of same reasons.
            Ahhh... so you have different needs than other people.

So you can see how some people "need" a UI just as you "need" Wayland output.

Comment

So you can see how some people "need" a UI just as you "need" Wayland output.
              Yes, if mpv devs purely measured their success by number of users, then a GUI (be it compatibility with an existing one or writing a new one) would have a higher priority. Obviously, they would rather focus on other things at this time. If you don't like that, then don't use the program.

I feel like the argument I'm making here is even too obvious to be worth spending time on.
              I've got the same feeling. Funny, that...

Comment

This "argument" is a waste of everyone's time. We have hardworking, talented people gutting out the ancient mplayer(2) codebase, making it sane (and more efficient!), correcting its implementations of standards like VDPAU/VA-API, providing actual library support rather than the Nightmarishly Great Fudge that is slave-mode, and the only objection seems to be "waah it doesn't work with smplayer, where's muh guiiiiiiiii???". People will insist on using ancient software which is demonstrably worse feature-wise, performance-wise, simplicity-wise and code-clarity-wise, and they'll be convinced they're making the smart choice.

Thread's over. Go home, everyone. Nothing to see here.

Comment

Originally posted by aphirst View Post
                  This "argument" is a waste of everyone's time. We have hardworking, talented people gutting out the ancient mplayer(2) codebase, making it sane (and more efficient!), correcting its implementations of standards like VDPAU/VA-API, providing actual library support rather than the Nightmarishly Great Fudge that is slave-mode, and the only objection seems to be "waah it doesn't work with smplayer, where's muh guiiiiiiiii???". People will insist on using ancient software which is demonstrably worse feature-wise, performance-wise, simplicity-wise and code-clarity-wise, and they'll be convinced they're making the smart choice.

Thread's over. Go home, everyone. Nothing to see here.
                  ohh that was convincing

Comment

Originally posted by Vidar View Post
                    I'd say the vast, vast majority want it. Maybe not the majority of Linux users but most certainly the majority of Windows + OS X users. I'm mostly a Linux user, and I don't necessarily mind that there's no GUI too much, but I like to believe that we're in 2014 and there's no need to use terminals like in the 80s anymore...
                    Apparently living with an 80s mind set is problem in the Linux world as well. I'm not criticizing anyone, just sharing my frustration. I'd really like to convince more people to use Linux rather than Windows but sometimes it's quite hard.
                    No, the question is why people that are interested in mplayer/mplayer2/mpv seem to want GUIs. There are any number of video players out there with regular GUIs, including some like smplayer. Why do we (people interested in these players) then need more GUIs?

Also as heavy cli user I have to say I have basically 0 interest in attracting large numbers of new users to Linux

Comment

Originally posted by Baconmon View Post
                      In this day and futuristic age of cell-phones and hover cars, a GUI should kind of be mandatory on some thing that is made for a normal dumb user, like a media player such as mpv.
                      If other users want GUIs there are plenty of options for them. This is clearly a media player for people that do not want such things.

Comment

Working...
                      X