Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking Forward To The Future Of KDE Frameworks 5

Phoronix: Looking Forward To The Future Of KDE Frameworks 5

While KDE Frameworks 5 was just released this week, there's already new features and functionality sought after for future revisions of this modularized set of next-gen KDE libraries...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Very nice if they can get Windows support working well. I would love to install KDE on those Windows 8 machines where I have now put "classic shell" or similar crutches for people who are unable / unwilling to switch to a proper OS. If I could replace the default shell with Plasma, that would be very nice (there was experimental support for replacing explorer.exe with plasma in the KDE4 port, hopefully this will work much better now).

Comment

Originally posted by staalmannen View Post
      Very nice if they can get Windows support working well. I would love to install KDE on those Windows 8 machines where I have now put "classic shell" or similar crutches for people who are unable / unwilling to switch to a proper OS. If I could replace the default shell with Plasma, that would be very nice (there was experimental support for replacing explorer.exe with plasma in the KDE4 port, hopefully this will work much better now).
      kwin, and thus plasma, will almost certainly never run on windows. This is about installing applications on windows, which worked pretty well for most of KDE SC 4.x but hasn't been updated in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
        kwin, and thus plasma, will almost certainly never run on windows. This is about installing applications on windows, which worked pretty well for most of KDE SC 4.x but hasn't been updated in a while.

But I agree the apps are the important stuff, although the interest / popularity of alternative shells got quite a boost when Win8 landed so if that could be a way to lower the threshold for switching to BSD or Linux that would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          Kde is not gnome, the shell doesn't depend on the window manager. You can run kde with compiz or other manager if you want

Comment

Working...
          X