No announcement yet.

KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome. In a few weeks I'll be reinstalling my primary desktop, and I'll put KF5+Plasma Next on it right off the bat (putting things into /opt is for the weak! ). That's a nice opportunity, since openSUSE didn't do a March release. Sometime in the 13.2 cycle I might do another clean install with Wayland. The future is certainly very close!

So I thought about replying to Yorgos, but it looks like he's another iteration of funkSTAR, so I won't bother because that would be pointless. But some corrections to the replies by others:

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
    Haven't tried kvpnc before (most VPNs I have been forced to use have their own proprietary client - if I am lucky).
    KVpnc is a KDE 3 app. You might as well forget it.

KDE 4 is pretty rock solid at this point in time, at 4.13.x. BTW, they haven't changed or shipped new icons ("buttons") since KDE4 has been released.
    KDE SC 4, you mean? Or just kdelibs 4? And they do have a new icon theme, but they're taking things slowly. It will be released when it's fully done. Though I'll most likely keep using Oxygen, those icons are amazing.

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
    rekonq is a third-party project using KDE's libraries, it is not part of the normal KDE SC releases and the people in charge of projects like konqueror and kdelibs have zero control over it.
    Not to mention that it's very useful overall. I have Firefox open on my left screen and rekonq on the right. What Firefox fails to display correctly, rekonq shows fine. For instance, one news website I read has a crazy script that powers a live news feed, and on Firefox it causes it to eat all the CPU time (even for a bit after the tab gets closed), on rekonq it's completely fine. Similarly with some HTML5 content on YouTube. And not to mention that Firefox takes about 30 seconds to start, while rekonq starts immediately.

Konqueror is still the official KDE web browser, and still works perfectly well as a file browser.
    Hmm, I've heard somewhere that there were plans to deprecate it... I don't see a reason to use it any more, since Dolphin, rekonq, Okular, KInfoCenter etc. exist now. I only have it installed because rekonq has a dependency on it (or rather its plugin framework, so it's a packaging issue more than anything).

Nepomuk the general-purpose semantic desktop standard got money from the EU. KDE made their own implementation of that standard, but KDE never got a single cent from the EU for that.
    And KDE Nepomuk is now deprecated in favour of Baloo.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
      Hmm, I've heard somewhere that there were plans to deprecate it... I don't see a reason to use it any more, since Dolphin, rekonq, Okular, KInfoCenter etc. exist now. I only have it installed because rekonq has a dependency on it (or rather its plugin framework, so it's a packaging issue more than anything).
      I haven't heard that. It would surprise me. Last I heard there were still people maintaining khtml. I think as long as that is the case konqueror will stay around. Besides, with konqueror gone KDE would have no default web browser (last I heard the maintainer of rekonq didn't want to be tied to KDE SC releases, although that may be a moot point with frameworks 5).

Comment

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
        It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
        I always thought that "Qt 5.3" was quite obvious, but maybe this kind of naming does indeed need some explanation.

The "Qt" part is actually the name of the product, a multi-platform application development framework. It already had that name under its original owner, Trolltech, so is unlikely to be changed by any subsequent party for continuation reasons.

The "5.3" part is something usually referred to as a version number. It looks like a general floating point number but it is not.
        I guess this is where you have problems with understanding.

It is basically two numbers joined into a tuple by a dot:

- the first number, in this case 5, is called the major version. It refers to which generation of the product one is looking at
        - the second number, in this case 3, is called the minor version. It refers to an incremental improvement step within the generation.

So "Qt 5.3" is the 5th generation of a product named Qt, after its 3rd improvement iteration cycle.

This kind of naming scheme is actually quite common for software, you will very likely find it on lots of other products.

Hope this helps you to understand this better

Cheers,
        _

Comment

I haven't heard that. It would surprise me. Last I heard there were still people maintaining khtml. I think as long as that is the case konqueror will stay around. Besides, with konqueror gone KDE would have no default web browser (last I heard the maintainer of rekonq didn't want to be tied to KDE SC releases, although that may be a moot point with frameworks 5).
          I don't think Midori has direct ties with Xfce, but that doesn't stop Xfce from recommending Midori as the default browser.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post
            I always thought that "Qt 5.3" was quite obvious, but maybe this kind of naming does indeed need some explanation.

The "Qt" part is actually the name of the product, a multi-platform application development framework. It already had that name under its original owner, Trolltech, so is unlikely to be changed by any subsequent party for continuation reasons.

The "5.3" part is something usually referred to as a version number. It looks like a general floating point number but it is not.

- the first number, in this case 5, is called the major version. It refers to which generation of the product one is looking at
            - the second number, in this case 3, is called the minor version. It refers to an incremental improvement step within the generation.

So "Qt 5.3" is the 5th generation of a product named Qt, after its 3rd improvement iteration cycle.

This kind of naming scheme is actually quite common for software, you will very likely find it on lots of other products.

Cheers,
            _
            Omg! I think you killed a troll! You are a hero! So the prophecy was true...

btw good job KDE team! I must try the framework in my next application, look like a lot of cleanups happened!

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

Cheers,
              _
              You sir just won 5 internets

Comment

KDE SC 4, you mean? Or just kdelibs 4? And they do have a new icon theme, but they're taking things slowly. It will be released when it's fully done. Though I'll most likely keep using Oxygen, those icons are amazing.
                I mean KDE 4, which is now know as the collection of KDE SC 4 and kdelibs 4. It is just easier to say KDE 4.13.x, instead of KDE SC 4.13.x on top of KDE Frameworks 4.11.x. There is also no new default icon theme planned for the 4.x branch - that is in the 5.x space. At least, AFIAK.

Comment

There is also no new default icon theme planned for the 4.x branch - that is in the 5.x space. At least, AFIAK.
                  Oh, yes, I thought you were talking about KF5.

Comment

I don't think Midori has direct ties with Xfce, but that doesn't stop Xfce from recommending Midori as the default browser.
                    I would think Otter-Browser would be a better choice here, personally. It (with it's goal to match Opera 12.x features completely in Qt5.x) seems to match KDE and it's users much better than the minimalist Midori. If it got the KDE SC developers behind it and they could improve upon the interface a lot, I'd probably use it as my main browser.

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
                      I would think Otter-Browser would be a better choice here, personally. It (with it's goal to match Opera 12.x features completely in Qt5.x) seems to match KDE and it's users much better than the minimalist Midori. If it got the KDE SC developers behind it and they could improve upon the interface a lot, I'd probably use it as my main browser.
                      I'm open to alternative browsers, but in this Orwellian world, they have to come with the important extensions from firefox.

And that is the killer feature of FF, always has been. It's hard to switch after you get used to NoScript, CS Lite, Ghostery, Secret Agent and the like.

Comment

Working...
                      X