KDE Frameworks 5 Has Been Officially Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark45 View Post
    It's Digia's fault for coming up with PR names (which are always shitty) instead of mnemonic ones, so don't blame the guy, blame the idiots taking naming decisions.
    Who, what? Digia?!! I thought this was a KDE story, Digia does not even do any KDE development. Are you that troll who always frequent the Qt stories under different names spouting random nonsense about Qt and Digia?

Comment

Originally posted by Yorgos View Post
      don't forget also that kvpnc requires special treatment in order to work. if you don't know what you are doing, then you get the nice crash window, without any proper info.
      bluetooth and wifi do not work with the network manager, although the drivers work perfectly, and there is no problem when setting everything up in the terminal by hand. the network manager is also a little bit tricky with the openvpn plugin.
      Haven't tried kvpnc before (most VPNs I have been forced to use have their own proprietary client - if I am lucky). However, totally BS on NetworkManager. The kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm (arch package), which is KDE's GUI, had worked perfectly for me across ~5 laptops and 2 desktops, both AMD and Intel systems. But, I don't think this will really matter to you as you seem to be trololololo.

actually it's the same thing, the new buttons come always with a new DE version, that's what they've been always doing.
      I don't know if this is digia's/nokia's/trolltech's way to get the people to fix their bugs and then sell the stable version,of the framework, to the companies.
      Again, really? It isn't the same thing - the frameworks release and plasma (desktop) release are very, very different. KDE 4 is pretty rock solid at this point in time, at 4.13.x. BTW, they haven't changed or shipped new icons ("buttons") since KDE4 has been released. Lastly, KDE has nothing to do with digia and is not a commercial product in any way. Digia has nothing to do with the KDE Frameworks, and KDE Frameworks is not party of QT or their commercial product. So much FUD, so little time *sigh*.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
        Who, what? Digia?!! I thought this was a KDE story, Digia does not even do any KDE development. Are you that troll who always frequent the Qt stories under different names spouting random nonsense about Qt and Digia?
        Sorry. You obviously are not. Just to clarify. Digia does not contribute to KDE, and does not have any direct say in any of KDE's decisions. The new naming in KDE has been going on for years, because KDE as a community has been growing and includes a number of high profile apps that are not tied to the KDE desktop. As a result "KDE" need a naming convention to separate its frameworks, its community and its desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
          And there is precisely the problem. Before the visual group was announced, people were complaining about how KDE was wasting too much time fixing bugs rather than on polishing the UI. Now that they are polishing the UI, people complain that they are not spending enough time fixing bugs. It doesn't matter what approach KDE developers take, someone will criticize them for not focusing on some particular issue.

That, of course, completely misses the fact that the visual design group is made up primarily of non-coders. They wouldn't be fixing bugs if they weren't in the visual design group, they would simply not be participating at all. The whole point of the visual design group is to organize non-coders with design experience.

And your post completely ignores all the effort and changes with frameworks 5 that have gone into finding, detecting, fixing, and preventing bugs. Changing the structure of the libraries was essential to accomplish that.
          when exactly did they fix the bugs,
          I've seen only new additions and no bug fixing,
          in the 4th version you had dolphin, which was more frustrating than using plain terminal the whole time,
          you had reqonk, that except from the pain in the ass to make it work properly with some plugins, it has no reason of existense,
          konqueror, which served as everything in the previous versions, got stripped of some features, dolphin was purged as the file manager
          they added dragon player and phonon, which is worse than vlc, they kill kaffeine which worked perfectly.
          they made everything more complicated with phonon,
          and on top of everything, take that nepomuk to test your nerves.(which by the way got a shitload of money from the eu, as funds to be developed).

on the laptop side, they removed the power save/performance modes, because they believe that they can do a proper energy management. seriously...

the list never ends.

after, almost 6 years using linux and windows and the last 3 only linux I am leaning towards the console more and more for everyday tasks like networking,file management, e.t.c.

best thing about kde is the konsole and yakuake, kchmviewer and okular, can't beat those.

Comment

Originally posted by bakgwailo View Post
            Haven't tried kvpnc before (most VPNs I have been forced to use have their own proprietary client - if I am lucky). However, totally BS on NetworkManager. The kdeplasma-applets-plasma-nm (arch package), which is KDE's GUI, had worked perfectly for me across ~5 laptops and 2 desktops, both AMD and Intel systems. But, I don't think this will really matter to you as you seem to be trololololo.
            both amd and intel systems?
            I thought we were talking about network manager and their intefacing with network cards...
            calm your tits,
            I am talking about intel wifi card, not an intel cpu.
            you cannot claim that something works if it works for you,
            I got like a zillion wifi atheros cards and they work fine,
            but when it comes to some intel and some bcm the thing hangs.

Again, really? It isn't the same thing - the frameworks release and plasma (desktop) release are very, very different. KDE 4 is pretty rock solid at this point in time, at 4.13.x. BTW, they haven't changed or shipped new icons ("buttons") since KDE4 has been released. Lastly, KDE has nothing to do with digia and is not a commercial product in any way. Digia has nothing to do with the KDE Frameworks, and KDE Frameworks is not party of QT or their commercial product. So much FUD, so little time *sigh*.
            kde sc 4 is ugly rock solid, even after 6 years of development, w/o counting the beta.
            "whoever owns qt" and kde have been evolving side by side,
            when a new piece of shit is announced by the "whoever own qt" company,
            kde is policing it and pass it as something wonderful.
            they do not even wait for things to get stable, they rush it into production.

I am happy that some DEs are not following what a company releases.

I am not using my computers for browsing fb or twitter, I am using them for production, and rock solid is not something that I can call kde, or gnome to be fair.

Comment

when exactly did they fix the bugs,
              One of the big parts of frameworks 5 was a huge increase in unit tests, a policy of adding unit tests when bugs are found, a continuous integration system that builds and tests every commit, and an "always green" rule that says that all unit tests must always be passing.

in the 4th version you had dolphin, which was more frustrating than using plain terminal the whole time,
              That is your opinion. I disagree completely, I think it is the best file manager I have ever seen anywhere. Different people like different things, that is hardly a fundamental failing of KDE.

you had reqonk, that except from the pain in the ass to make it work properly with some plugins, it has no reason of existense,
              rekonq is a third-party project using KDE's libraries, it is not part of the normal KDE SC releases and the people in charge of projects like konqueror and kdelibs have zero control over it.

konqueror, which served as everything in the previous versions, got stripped of some features, dolphin was purged as the file manager
              Konqueror is still the official KDE web browser, and still works perfectly well as a file browser.

they added dragon player and phonon, which is worse than vlc, they kill kaffeine which worked perfectly.
              Dragon player is meant as an ultra-minimal media player, of course it has far fewer features compared to vlc. vlc already exists and already works quite well as a Qt media player, no need to make another one.

Kaffeine, again, is a third-party project using KDE libraries, the KDE SC developers have no control whatsoever over it, not to mention the power to "kill" it. It hasn't been getting updates because the sole developer no longer has time for it, it has nothing to do with any decision by any KDE developers.

they made everything more complicated with phonon,
              Uh, phonon doesn't make anything more complicated, quite the opposite. It makes it much simpler to add basic media playback to applications like konqueror and dolphin that don't need all the features of something like VLC. Nobody is forced to use phonon, all the other media frameworks are still available if someone wants to make something more advanced.

which by the way got a shitload of money from the eu, as funds to be developed
              Nepomuk the general-purpose semantic desktop standard got money from the EU. KDE made their own implementation of that standard, but KDE never got a single cent from the EU for that.

on the laptop side, they removed the power save/performance modes, because they believe that they can do a proper energy management. seriously...
              No, they removed the power save/performance modes because they believe that the kernel can do better energy management than either them or users.

Comment

I thought we were talking about network manager and their intefacing with network cards...
                calm your tits,
                KDE has no control whatsoever over the NetworkManager stack.

Name any instance where this has happened. And considering you don't know what projects are actually part of KDE and which are third-party projects, I suggest you check to make sure that the project you name actually comes from Qt and was actually implemented by a part of KDE.

Comment

both amd and intel systems?
                  calm your tits,
                  Really? All of my Intel systems had an Intel wifi card (imagine that), and my AMD systems obviously had other things - I didn't think it would be too hard to parse that. In my experience, all of the Intel wifi cards I have used have worked right out the box with no issue. Again, KDE has nothing to do with the NetworkManager stack anyways - they just provide a GUI for it that you can either use, or not use. The GTK one works fine in KDE, too, although it is pretty ugly.

kde sc 4 is ugly rock solid, even after 6 years of development, w/o counting the beta.
                  "whoever owns qt" and kde have been evolving side by side,

I am happy that some DEs are not following what a company releases.

I am not using my computers for browsing fb or twitter, I am using them for production, and rock solid is not something that I can call kde, or gnome to be fair.
                  Um, what? I don't even know what to say about this. Digia owns QT. KDE != QT. They are two separate entities. Before you complained that KDE only added new visual stuff and didn't fix bugs, and now you are saying KDE is rock solid but ugly? What? Try harder to troll man, you need to work on getting to the funkSTAR (RIP in piece) level.

Comment

It's too bad that the Plasma5 release won't have the entire collection of new default themes
                    The panel theme and Window Decorations it has, but not the... QtCurve? theme (whatever it is that governs the general look like a GTK+ theme would) and the new default icon set.

Comment

Really? All of my Intel systems had an Intel wifi card (imagine that), and my AMD systems obviously had other things - I didn't think it would be too hard to parse that.
                      fwiw, I've had AMD computers that had intel wifi chips. In fact, my current computer has an Intel mini-pcie wifi board. It wouldn't surprise me (although I'm sure it's much less common) to see a broadcom or atheros wifi chip in an Intel system, either.

Comment

Working...
                      X