Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ua=42 View Post
    Sigh.

Gui programs on linux haven't been network transparent for a long time. Instead, it has been mostly sending screenshots over the network in a very inefficient manner.

Wayland will be better for gui apps over the network.
    At least X sends something over the network. What I want is a way for Wayland to do something that looks similar, be it client side rendering or screenshots. Just something I can actually use. Right now I'm using Xpra instead of regular X fowarding because regular X fowarding uses a huge amount of bandwidth and can't handle disconnecting and reconnecting. Or more accuratly a fork because the original isn't maintained anymore.

Comment

At least X sends something over the network. What I want is a way for Wayland to do something that looks similar, be it client side rendering or screenshots. Just something I can actually use. Right now I'm using Xpra instead of regular X fowarding because regular X fowarding uses a huge amount of bandwidth and can't handle disconnecting and reconnecting. Or more accuratly a fork because the original isn't maintained anymore.
      Initial wayland network support was merged in over a year ago. http://tech.slashdot.org/story/13/04...d-into-wayland

Comment

While we're on the off-topic of network transperancy, is their any reasonable solution like MS' Remote Desktop on the linux world compared to that besides XDMCP, but provides for that integrated experience? Are there any paid-for proprietry solutions as an example of someone who's implemented something at least?

And why has this stuff fallen by the wayside? It seems to me that having several servers and desktops interfaces seemlessly 'working' (especially your preferred UI experience) on the local machine to be a pretty good thing. Click button here, work gets done there, and my local machine can get on with doing its own thing.

Or has a free RDP implementation been that far integrated already in Wayland that it's effectively replaced and no one knows it exists?

Bare in mind, I'm new to this 'old unused' XDMCP tech, so go easy =) I'm just curious as to what's happened to it when so many people still talk about it.
        Last edited by stiiixy; 30 June 2014, 07:41 PM.
        Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
          While we're on the off-topic of network transperancy, is their any reasonable solution like MS' Remote Desktop on the linux world compared to that besides XDMCP, but provides for that integrated experience? Are there any paid-for proprietry solutions as an example of someone who's implemented something at least?

And why has this stuff fallen by the wayside? It seems to me that having several servers and desktops interfaces seemlessly 'working' (especially your preferred UI experience) on the local machine to be a pretty good thing. Click button here, work gets done there, and my local machine can get on with doing its own thing.

Or has a free RDP implementation been that far integrated already in Wayland that it's effectively replaced and no one knows it exists?

Bare in mind, I'm new to this 'old unused' XDMCP tech, so go easy =) I'm just curious as to what's happened to it when so many people still talk about it.
          This pretty much sums up what I was about to post 2 seconds ago.

Comment

I actually don't know. Since I haven't needed to remote in 5 years. Hopefully someone else can post.

I can tell you that wayland's strategy is to not have a built in networked gui system. They plan to support remote access software (hence the patches a year ago), but they don't plan to have a built in one.

I know there are several programs for remote access, and I suspect that once wayland is in the wild they will add support for wayland. I think I remember hearing that one of the remote programs already has support.... but I don't remember the name.

Sorry I can't help more.

Comment

Originally posted by xeekei View Post
              Openbox isn't a compositor, as far as I know. So they'll need to port Compton. Kwin will probably arrive sooner though. While Kwin is quite heavy, it's still fast if you don't use fancy effects.
              What about a stripped down Kwin? Shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the bloat. Personally I would prefer as little special effects as possible.
              Openbox on Kwin + Wayland would be good no?

No idea. not a programmer.

Comment

Don't quote me but I think I remember reading that they are planning to use kwin.

Comment

I heard that compositors can implement the protocol themselves when using Wayland. Which means the KWin and GNOME devs are going to need to implement this if Wayland can become a suitable replacement for X.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    It would be ironic for "Lightweight X Desktop Environment" to run on non-X.
                    A few weeks ago a LXDE developer said in a Google+ comment that a name change is being considered but nothing is set in stone.

Don't quote me but I think I remember reading that they are planning to use kwin.
                    KWin 5 is the most likely candidate but as of a while ago there were no plans to mandate a window manager.

Comment

Sigh.

Gui programs on linux haven't been network transparent for a long time. Instead, it has been mostly sending screenshots over the network in a very inefficient manner.

Wayland will be better for gui apps over the network.
                      Well not true. Several schools run LTSP and they just upgraded the network to be on par with bigger applications. I know one school uses a server with 500 GB Sata 3 SSD, 32GB RAM, 10 Gbps switch (1 Gbps links to clients) to deal with this. The clients are cheap Shuttle computers with gigabit LAN and 21.5" fullhd screens.

Comment

Working...
                      X