Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The GNOME 3.13.3 Changes Are Exciting

Phoronix: The GNOME 3.13.3 Changes Are Exciting

Matthias Clasen of Red Hat has written about the changes you can find in this week's GNOME 3.13.3 development release in the path to GNOME 3.14...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The new changes in gnome could be exciting, but the whole gnome project is not exciting anymore.
    I liked it at the beginning, but it is too much simplistic now, a lot of stuff has been removed to be usable by a power-user.

For example, I use file-roller in Xfce and I cannot know the number of files I selected before extracting them, there is no status bar (and I lost some minutes searching for the 'show status bar' option, without luck).

Comment

Originally posted by BubuXP View Post
      The new changes in gnome could be exciting, but the whole gnome project is not exciting anymore.
      I liked it at the beginning, but it is too much simplistic now, a lot of stuff has been removed to be usable by a power-user.

For example, I use file-roller in Xfce and I cannot know the number of files I selected before extracting them, there is no status bar (and I lost some minutes searching for the 'show status bar' option, without luck).
      I suggest Xarchiver.

OT:
      It's still called Evince? I thought it be "GNOME PDF Viewer" by now.

Comment

Things like this are being said all the time. Sadly they dont want to hear us. GNOME will be same until people managing it change.
        State of things have come to the point I dont want to even report bugs much less contribute. And we are talking about FOSS here.

Comment

This is one of the problems I have with minimalist design. You end up spending hours on Google trying to figure out how to do X in some piece of software. It's just a never-ending research project.

Just the other day in the Nautilus used in Ubuntu 14.04 I did a right-click on a file and noticeably absent was a Delete option. There was a "Move to Trash", but no Delete. At this point I can't be bothered to go looking around Google to figure out how to restore Delete, so I'll just use the command line more and shelf Nautilus as much as possible.

Comment

Ehh, gnome 13.3.3.. Aka, a BUGFIX release that brings a new DEFAULT theme..
            Something smells wrong. That should imho be in a major version (3.14 or so), not in a bugfix release.

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
              Ehh, gnome 13.3.3.. Aka, a BUGFIX release that brings a new DEFAULT theme..
              Something smells wrong. That should imho be in a major version (3.14 or so), not in a bugfix release.
              You really don't know how the GNOME release process works. Unstable changes: odd releases (3.11, 3.13). Stable releases, ready for public consumption: even releases (3.12, 3.14).

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                Just the other day in the Nautilus used in Ubuntu 14.04 I did a right-click on a file and noticeably absent was a Delete option. There was a "Move to Trash", but no Delete. At this point I can't be bothered to go looking around Google to figure out how to restore Delete, so I'll just use the command line more and shelf Nautilus as much as possible.
                Weird. I use Nautilus-3.12 and I have delete in the menu, when i right click [wtf?].... Shift+Del does what you are looking for though.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                  I remember there was an option in nautilus preferences to add this command. Isn't there anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Apopas View Post
                    I remember there was an option in nautilus preferences to add this command. Isn't there anymore?
                    I just looked. that behavior is disabled by default, since it skips the trash / which means you can't undo deleting the file...

it can be enabled in dconf-editor->org->gnome->nautilus->preferences->enable-delete. [I probably enabled it circa gnome-3.0 on my machine, so totally forgot about the settings.]. I think it's the same reasoning as using Shift+Del for deleting [which also skips the trash], rather than just Delete key.

Comment

Working...
                    X