The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Temar View Post
    You don't need a plugin infrastructure for that. A simple dlopen(3) can be used to check if the wrapper library is available and if it is, it will be used to open the file dialog, else the default dialog is used. This is only a few lines of code which even beginners can code in a few hours. This also solves the c++ linking dependencies problem.

So all I hear is excuses.
    I agree, it would be quite easy for a beginner, IF and only Qt would provide a C API. However using C++ classes from via dlopened dynamic objects isn't that easy. Typically, this is done via C wrapper functions (c.f. http://tldp.org/HOWTO/C++-dlopen/thesolution.html). It seems, that there is a static function.

Code:
    fileName = QFileDialog::getOpenFileName(this,
         tr("Open Image"), "/home/jana", tr("Image Files (*.png *.jpg *.bmp)"));
    I found that in
    Code:
    $ nm -D /usr/lib64/libQt5Widgets.so | grep getOpenFileName 
    000000000034cd10 T _ZN11QFileDialog15getOpenFileNameEP7QWidgetRK7QStringS4_S4_PS2_6QFlagsINS_6OptionEE
    000000000034d1f0 T _ZN11QFileDialog16getOpenFileNamesEP7QWidgetRK7QStringS4_S4_PS2_6QFlagsINS_6OptionEE
    *Maybe* that works without a Qt main loop. Go ahead if you still think it's so easy If all what you write is true, I'm sure distributions will happily accept your patch as out-of-tree patch and enable their KDE/Qt users to use native file dialogs in GTK+ apps.

Originally posted by Temar View Post
    I doubt that. Having different file selection dialogs is one of the greatest usability nightmares of the Linux desktop. I doubt you will find any usability expert who disagrees with this statement.
    You may doubt that as much as you want. Fact it, that this LD_PRELOAD wrapper was never included in any distributions and activated by default. Doesn't matter what usability experts think. They don't build distributions.

Googling for your kwriteconfig-command (see below), I found the very LD_PRELOAD-wrapper mentioned at this page: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...K_Applications. It's called kgtk.

Then you should install Qt's GTK integration theme. It's only one apt-get/yum/zypper/... away.
    The mystery is another one. Qt doesn't always use native dialogs. It was explained a few posts ago.

Yes, they are perfect examples as they show that many developers do care about usability and go the extra step, the GTK devs are refusing to go.
    At least three developers. I never saw a native GTK+ app manually being tweaked to use Qt file dialogs.

Every KDE application can use the GTK file selection dialog. It's only one kwriteconfig command away.
    Nope, sorry, it isn't. I used the following kwriteconfig-command:

Code:
    kwriteconfig --file kdeglobals --group General --key widgetStyle gtk
    While Qt and KDE happily use Gtk+ themes, the file dialog is still wrong, c.f. in kwrite:

As written before, it depends on the Qt apps you use if they can show a GTK+ file dialog. I tried texstudio and it has native dialogs. So it's a KDE problem here.

Comment

• Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
      Why you need flash?
      heres a better question, why dont i need flash?
      it aint dead yet, its very much alive...

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
        heres a better question, why dont i need flash?
        it aint dead yet, its very much alive...
        It depends on your usecase. Video more likely you don't. Most stuff work with html5. Some sites still use it but personally i can do without them.

Comment

• So I enabled Shumway on Nightly and... it's gotten much better! It's not perfect, but it's WAY faster than it was when it was first announced, and it renders many things perfectly.

This is pretty good progress, I think
          If only more devs were interested in it though... the github is lacking love.

Comment

• Any hope for GTK3 on Windows?

A compile switch maybe? I am a FOSS and mingw fan.

Comment

• Originally posted by fithisux View Post
              A compile switch maybe? I am a FOSS and mingw fan.
              Sure, have a look here: http://www.gtk.org/download/win32_tutorial.php There is a newer version of the bundle available at http://win32builder.gnome.org/

Comment

• Forgive me but isn't theme/DE integration from both sides a bit of horseshite. I mean past the issue of some programs not having the correct file pickers QT's GTK styling is still only emulating GTK+2. Running any of the last 3 Gnome releases and this looks quite out of place and I'm not talking about CSD's and related. Between the different programs elements like tabs, checkboxes, progressbars etc are all in a style that doesn't match up well to the latest version also while the colors are off and ignoring the "force_dark_theme" setting. And to bring it back to the File Picker, a new one was implemented in 3.12 which makes the GTK+2 one look massively out of place. It's been over 3 years since GTK+3 and Gnome3 were introduced as relatviely stable products, about 2 since 3.6 which many pick as the actual first stable releases and so the time has really passed when you can say they're holding back doing it until a stable release.

Now GTK aren't any better but at least they don't make the pretense that they support exact QT theming.

PS: I am deliberately not talking about whether the themes are nice, just that QT doesn't actually obey them

Comment

• Forgive me

Comment

• Forgive me but isn't the whole QT theme/DE integration thing pretty much shite. Looking beyond File Pickers it only actually emulates GTK+2 which is now almost 4 years out of date. The rendering of elements such as Tabs, sliders, checkboxes etc is all thematically out of line and all the colors aren't right when sitting next to GTK programs. There is also the issue for those of use that use "force_dark_theme" where because it's GTK+2 the setting isn't honored leaving the QT progams looking out of place. Going back to the File Picker, in the worst case scenario you now have 3 of them. A GTK one, a KDE one and a GTK+2 fallback used by legacy programs AND any QT program on the system not hardwired to use KDEs. The time has passed for this to be a thing as Gnome/GTK+ 3 were released over 3 years ago, 2 years if you count from 3.6 as some people like to.

Don't get me wrong, GTK has a these problems too but at least they don't advertise as having a theme engine that makes it look like the other.

Note: Posted the first post accidentally and then editing timed out before I could add the rest

Comment

Working...
                    X