The GTK3 Port Of Firefox Is Making Progress, Firefox Can Run On Wayland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cyber Killer View Post
    A file picker has only 1 role in an application (from the devs point of view) - to give the path to a file or directory. Properly written apps do not interact with file picker dialogs, they only spawn them and take their output (the file path). There is no application workflow in this, it's only for the user.

Whaa? Now that's just plain wrong. Qt uses native system APIs to draw widgets wherever possible. On windows and mac you will not be able to tell a Qt widget app from a base system API app. Hell, Qt apps look more native on windows than microsofts own .net apps!
    It could support stuff like virtual filsystem gvfs, kio etc.

Comment

Whaa? Now that's just plain wrong. Qt uses native system APIs to draw widgets wherever possible. On windows and mac you will not be able to tell a Qt widget app from a base system API app. Hell, Qt apps look more native on windows than microsofts own .net apps!
      Qt using GTK+ to draw widgets - that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by m4tx View Post
        Qt using GTK+ to draw widgets - that would be awesome.
        There's a Qt engine that mimic GTK look and feel, and it does a really great job, sometimes I cannot even tell the diffrerence.

Comment

I know it since it's default Qt theme engine under most Linux distros. But, at least for me, in most apps it's easily distinguishable whether the app is using GTK+ or Qt. Scrollbars are different (either in Unity and Gnome Shell), it doesn't respect some of the GTK+ settings (like displaying the icons in menu items). So... well, it just... doesn't work at all. At least for me (a user who hates when an app is trying to look like some toolkit, but it is doing it poorly).

Comment

Originally posted by m4tx View Post
            I know it since it's default Qt theme engine under most Linux distros. But, at least for me, in most apps it's easily distinguishable whether the app is using GTK+ or Qt. Scrollbars are different (either in Unity and Gnome Shell), it doesn't respect some of the GTK+ settings (like displaying the icons in menu items). So... well, it just... doesn't work at all. At least for me (a user who hates when an app is trying to look like some toolkit, but it is doing it poorly).
            Yes, but I am a windows user and for me this stupid things aren't a problems, on windows every apps look different and anybody is angry for this.

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
              Yes, but I am a windows user and for me this stupid things aren't a problems, on windows every apps look different and anybody is angry for this.
              I own a mac and most qt apps do not look completely native.It doesn't matter if qt use some native widgets. The end result is not inseparable from a a good Cocoa application.
              Last edited by Akka; 28 June 2014, 06:28 AM.

Comment

A file picker has only 1 role in an application (from the devs point of view) - to give the path to a file or directory. Properly written apps do not interact with file picker dialogs, they only spawn them and take their output (the file path). There is no application workflow in this, it's only for the user.
                HAHAHAHAHA.

"Either my argument is valid, or any suggestions means that they're improper".. comedy gold!

Anyway, loads of applications show various things in file chooser dialogs. E.g. showing a preview of the file when you click on it. Really useful. Obviously it goes against what you're saying so instead of thinking about what people suggest, the suggestion is just improper / not properly written. Awesome, you're never going to be wrong with that kind of attitude.

Anyway, good luck with that. But you're still wrong.

Comment

I'm bit out of sync with mozilla bugzilla, can cairo-gtk3 run plugins (flash, java) and does it still need separate builds of 32,64bit libxul?
                  Afaik gtk3 was usable for quite a while, but these two things prevented broad adoption.

Comment

i dont understand why so many complains about they using GTK3+ va QT (wich i do agree they should use QT) when there is bigger issues like they trying to make shumway instead of using peeper (or however you call it) for flash.
                    i myself refuse to use FF untill something is done about this.
                    walking around with flash 12 aint cool guys wake up.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheSoulz View Post
                      i dont understand why so many complains about they using GTK3+ va QT (wich i do agree they should use QT) when there is bigger issues like they trying to make shumway instead of using peeper (or however you call it) for flash.
                      i myself refuse to use FF untill something is done about this.
                      walking around with flash 12 aint cool guys wake up.
                      Why you need flash?

Comment

Working...
                      X